Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/29 00:12:01 UTC

spark akka fork : is the source anywhere?

Hi spark. Where is akka coming from in spark ?

I see the distribution referenced is a spark artifact... but not in the
apache namespace.

     <akka.group>org.spark-project.akka</akka.group>
     <akka.version>2.3.4-spark</akka.version>

Clearly this is a deliberate thought out change (See SPARK-1812), but its
not clear where 2.3.4 spark is coming from and who is maintaining its
release?

--
jay vyas

PS

I've had some conversations with will benton as well about this, and its
clear that some modifications to akka are needed, or else a protobug error
occurs, which amount to serialization incompatibilities, hence if one wants
to build spark from sources, the patched akka is required (or else, manual
patching needs to be done)...

15/01/28 22:58:10 ERROR ActorSystemImpl: Uncaught fatal error from thread
[sparkWorker-akka.remote.default-remote-dispatcher-6] shutting down
ActorSystem [sparkWorker] java.lang.VerifyError: class
akka.remote.WireFormats$AkkaControlMessage overrides final method
getUnknownFields.()Lcom/google/protobuf/UnknownFieldSet;

Re: spark akka fork : is the source anywhere?

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
It's maintained here:

https://github.com/pwendell/akka/tree/2.2.3-shaded-proto

Over time, this is something that would be great to get rid of, per rxin

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.