Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/25 20:03:51 UTC

Re: svn trunk r?: FAIL (win32 ra_local)

On 06/25/05 14:59:49, TOASTER <su...@collab.net> wrote:
> Last 100 lines of the build log (full log attached):

Ben,

piggy can't resolve svn.collab.net, but I can... Any idea what can be wrong?

SP2 upgrade anything to do with it? (I had a look in your network
connections, but 3 DNS servers should suffice :-)

bye,

Erik.

Re: svn trunk r?: FAIL (win32 ra_local)

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
D.J. Heap wrote:
> I do resolve through my ISP but have never seen any DNS troubles with
> svn.collab.net traced back to them.  I don't think I'm alone in
> suspecting there is (or has been) something flaky about svn.collab.net's
> DNS somewhere...

Actually, now that I walk through everything manually, there is something weird
(or at least suboptimal) about the setup.  The root servers have the following:

> $ dnstracer -os . svn.collab.net
> Tracing to svn.collab.net[a] via A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, maximum of 3 retries
> A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET [.] (198.41.0.4)
>  |\___ M.GTLD-SERVERS.net [net] (192.55.83.30)
>  |     |\___ ns3.collab.net [collab.net] (64.151.90.204) Got authoritative answer [received type is cname]
>  |     |\___ ns2.collab.net [collab.net] (64.125.178.141) Got authoritative answer [received type is cname]
>  |      \___ ns1.collab.net [collab.net] (64.125.134.21) Got authoritative answer [received type is cname]

... same for other .net TLD servers...

> ns1.collab.net (64.125.134.21)          svn.collab.net -> morbius.ch.collab.net
> ns2.collab.net (64.125.178.141)         svn.collab.net -> morbius.ch.collab.net
> ns3.collab.net (64.151.90.204)          svn.collab.net -> morbius.ch.collab.net

So since that answer is a CNAME, we have to start all over again from the
beginning and look up morbius.ch.collab.net:

> $ dnstracer -os . morbius.ch.collab.net
> Tracing to morbius.ch.collab.net[a] via A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, maximum of 3 retries
> A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET [.] (198.41.0.4)
>  |\___ M.GTLD-SERVERS.net [net] (192.55.83.30)
>  |     |\___ ns3.collab.net [collab.net] (64.151.90.204)
>  |     |      \___ ns1.sp.collab.net [ch.collab.net] (208.185.179.200) Got authoritative answer
>  |     |\___ ns2.collab.net [collab.net] (64.125.178.141)
>  |     |      \___ ns1.sp.collab.net [ch.collab.net] (208.185.179.200) (cached)
>  |      \___ ns1.collab.net [collab.net] (64.125.134.21)
>  |            \___ ns1.sp.collab.net [ch.collab.net] (208.185.179.200) (cached)

... same for other .net TLD servers...

> ns1.sp.collab.net (208.185.179.200)     morbius.ch.collab.net -> 66.146.194.195

Note the difference between this run and the one above: there is only one name
server that is authoritative for morbius.ch.collab.net.  This is bad for all of
the usual reasons (load balancing, single point of failure, etc.).

But it is also twice as long a chain to walk through for no good reason.
CNAME's are not what most people think they are.  There is absolutely no reason
not to create a A record mapping svn.collab.net to 66.146.194.195; sure have the
PTR record point to the machine name (morbius.ch.collab.net), but you can have
as many forward (A) records as you want resolving to the same IP address.  Even
if you run BIND.  And there really isn't good justification for having yet
another nameserver (and a singleton at that) to be authoritative (especially
since it is an in-baliwick name).

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: svn trunk r?: FAIL (win32 ra_local)

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net> writes:

> As in cannot get an IP address.  Which is not a new thing -- I know
> many people including myself have had sporadic DNS problems with
> svn.collab.net in the past although I haven't heard of any for a few
> weeks.
>
> I do resolve through my ISP but have never seen any DNS troubles with
> svn.collab.net traced back to them.  I don't think I'm alone in
> suspecting there is (or has been) something flaky about
> svn.collab.net's DNS somewhere...
>
> It's now working again for me.

Same for me. It's working now, but I had problems yesterday evening
and earlier today.

--
Philip Martin

Re: svn trunk r?: FAIL (win32 ra_local)

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@shadyvale.net>.
John Peacock wrote:
> D.J. Heap wrote:
>
>> I can't resolve svn.collab.net from either Linux or Win32 boxes.  I
>> haven't changed anything since it was working last night.
>

> "resolve" as in cannot get an IP address for that name or "resolve" as
> in cannot connect to that server?
>
> For the former, you might try dnstracer:
>
>     http://www.mavetju.org/download/dnstracer-1.8.tar.gz
>     http://www.mavetju.org/unix/dnstracer.php (docs)
>
> with the following command line:
>
>     dnstracer -os . svn.collab.net
>
> which will perform a full DNS tree walk from the root.  I see no
> inconsistencies in the DNS from my point of view, but if you are relying
> on your ISP for DNS, they could be having a problem.
>
> For the latter, I find 'mtr' (under Linux) to work nicer than traceroute
> for determining any blockages.

As in cannot get an IP address.  Which is not a new thing -- I know many
people including myself have had sporadic DNS problems with svn.collab.net
in the past although I haven't heard of any for a few weeks.

I do resolve through my ISP but have never seen any DNS troubles with
svn.collab.net traced back to them.  I don't think I'm alone in suspecting
there is (or has been) something flaky about svn.collab.net's DNS somewhere...

It's now working again for me.

DJ

Re: svn trunk r?: FAIL (win32 ra_local)

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.