Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Quinton Delpeche <qu...@vippayroll.co.za> on 2004/11/24 08:28:06 UTC

SuSE 9.2 and Tomcat...

Hi Again,

Well after pulling my hair out and getting very frustrated I have finally
fixed and documented everything that needs to be done in order to get Tomcat
5 working on SuSE 9.2.

This seems a little strange since I am using the version of Tomcat that comes
with SuSE 9.2, but I won't say anymore on the matter.

There are basically two important permission things that need to be done.

1). The files admin.xml and manager.xml
in /etc/tomcat5/base/Catalina/localhost/ need to be given write access to the
tomcat user.

There new profile should look like this:
-rw-rw-r--  1 root   tomcat 862 Oct  5 03:20 admin.xml
-rw-rw-r--  1 root   tomcat 428 Oct  5 03:20 manager.xml

This fix removes the previous error regarding the admin and manager
applications that I posted earlier.

2). The tomcat user needs to be given access to /var/run in order to create
the relevant PID file.

Because my server is behind a firewall and I change the ROOT and user password
on the server regularly, I changed the /var/run permissions so that everyone
could read and write from and to this directory.

The new profile should look like this:
drwxrwxrwx  15 root  root  1032 Nov 24 09:11 run

This fix solves various issues regarding the admin and manager applications as
well as the start.log error.

Thats it. I don't know if this information will be useful to anyone, but I
thought I would share it with you all anyway.

Regards
Quinton Delpeche
Internal Systems Developer
Softline VIP

Telephone: +27 12 420 7000
Direct:    +27 12 420 7007
Facsimile: +27 12 420 7344

http://www.vippayroll.co.za/

	A doctor, an architect, and a computer scientist were arguing
about whose profession was the oldest.  In the course of their
arguments, they got all the way back to the Garden of Eden, whereupon
the doctor said, "The medical profession is clearly the oldest, because
Eve was made from Adam's rib, as the story goes, and that was a simply
incredible surgical feat."
	The architect did not agree.  He said, "But if you look at the
Garden itself, in the beginning there was chaos and void, and out of
that, the Garden and the world were created.  So God must have been an
architect."
	The computer scientist, who had listened to all of this said,
"Yes, but where do you think the chaos came from?"

Re: SuSE 9.2 and Tomcat...

Posted by Harry Mantheakis <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.
Thank you sharing this information.

Harry Mantheakis