Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/28 07:40:02 UTC

Working towards graduation

Hi all,

With 2 releases out since the start under the flag of ASF Incubation, we
are on the right track building our experience regarding release management
in relation to compliance to the ASF rules and guidelines.

I suggest we now - while not forgetting to work on improving our code base
for future releases - start working on the community aspect of the project.
According to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Contributors (per
27-07-2016) we have a healthy number of contributors.

Yet diversity is a bit low. The subset of contributors with the PPMC flags
shows following affiliation:

   - Esgyn: 9 contributors
   - Hewlett Packard: 3 contributors

We need to work on getting more diversity in that subset. Otherwise - I
feel - the IPMC will have issues with our graduation.

Any ideas how to achieve that diversity?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Re: Working towards graduation

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Rohit Jain <ro...@esgyn.com> wrote:

> Here is how Kudu has documented all their participation
> http://kudu.apache.org/community.html
> We need to do the same.
>
> This looks like a good idea. Add a link to Rohit's new book too (I presume
the punchline is Trafodion -- I've not read it yet.... smile).

I like the idea of getting the wechat folks involved as committers (if
possible) especially if we can get a pipeline of committers material up and
running.

>  After watching Kudo graduate, diversity seems like a red herring...

They have one committer/pmc who is from a company that is other than that
of the rest of the committers, but incubator voting probably factored other
projects attributes higher to compensate. The assessment at vote time is
far from clinical.

We could set ourselves a goal of going to incubator for a graduation vote
after we get the next non-esgyn committer (or two) and after another
release or so?

I presume you all get the bit on why diversity is good for the health of
the project.

wrote:

> [...]
> > > (through confirmation of the iCLA accepted by the Secretary of the
> > > ASF)
> > is
> > > enough to get the person listed in the
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Contributors.
> > >
> > > As you can learn form the overview IDs regarding Confluence and JIRA
> need
> > > to be known to grant the applicant the correct permissions in the 2
> tools
> > > in use.
> > >
> > > So, having done code commits (which requires acceptance by the
> > contributor
> > > of the invitation to become a committer from the PPMC, and an Apache
> ID),
> > > or not having done Confluence updates, etc. is *not* a requirement to
> be
> > > listed/accepted as a contributor who wants to do more.

Gunnar

Re: Working towards graduation

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> > more
> > > (through confirmation of the iCLA accepted by the Secretary of the ASF)
> > is
> > > enough to get the person listed in the
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Contributors.
> > >
> > > As you can learn form the overview IDs regarding Confluence and JIRA
> need
> > > to be known to grant the applicant the correct permissions in the 2
> tools
> > > in use.
> > >
> > > So, having done code commits (which requires acceptance by the
> > contributor
> > > of the invitation to become a committer from the PPMC, and an Apache
> ID),
> > > or not having done Confluence updates, etc. is *not* a requirement to
> be
> > > listed/accepted as a contributor who wants to do more.

Gunnar

Re: Working towards graduation

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hans, all,

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
HI Ming,

Posted by "Jin, Jian (Seth)" <Ji...@esgyn.cn>.
It seem the contributor list is out of date, the contributor list should be longer than that.

Br,

Seth