Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by byrnejb <By...@Harte-Lyne.ca> on 2008/01/23 02:25:19 UTC

Ruleset load order dependencies

OS - CentOS-5.1 / Redhat ES5

I am getting messages of this from when I start up SpamAssassin v.3.1.9 from
MailScanner v.4.66.5 in --debug-sa mode:

info: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined dependency
'RAZOR2_CHECK'
info: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined dependency 'DCC_CHECK'
info: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined dependency
'PYZOR_CHECK'

I find that DCC_CHECK is contained in /usr/share/spamassassin/25_dcc.cf

while DIGEST_MULTIPLE is defined in /usr/share/spamassassin/20_net_tests.cf

I have gathered from the documentation that rules prefaced with 20_ will
load before those with 25_.  Is this the reason for the error I am seeing,
that DIGEST_MULTIPLE refers to a rule not yet loaded?  If so, is this a bug
since the files in /usr/share/spamassassin are not, as I understand, to be
modified locally?

Re: Ruleset load order dependencies

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> You don't have the DCC plugin enabled, so the DCC_CHECK rule doesn't
> exist.
> It is surrounded by #ifplugin lines.
>
> OK, I modified v310.pre and I will see if that works

Note that some of the net checks require more setup than simply removing the
hash mark from the ifplugin line.  You may need extra modules loaded, or may
need extra setup either in SA or someplace else.

        Loren

Re: Ruleset load order dependencies

Posted by byrnejb <By...@Harte-Lyne.ca>.

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> info: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined dependency
> 'RAZOR2_CHECK'
> info: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined dependency
> 'DCC_CHECK'
> info: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined dependency
> 'PYZOR_CHECK'

You don't have the DCC plugin enabled, so the DCC_CHECK rule doesn't exist.
It is surrounded by #ifplugin lines.

DIGEST_MULTIPLE is checking for a combination of multiple digests that can
include DCC.  In this case if DCC isn't enabled, it is the same as not
getting a DCC hit, as far as this rule is concenred.  So the only bad effect
is this warning message, which is hidden way down in the debug messages so
that people won't normally see it and worry about it.

Oh, the above also holds for Razor and Pyzor.

        Loren

Re: Ruleset load order dependencies

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 22.01.08 17:34, byrnejb wrote:
> No.  The problem is that you don't have the modules loaded which would let
> the
> rules get defined.  The meta dependencies are checked after everything has
> loaded.
>
> --
>
> How do I ensure that the proper modules are loaded and what are they called?

please, learn to quote and don't indent original text by "-- " string - that
is a signature separator.

uncomment razor, pyzor and DCC modules. Note that they all need external
programs to work and DCC requires own DCC server for mailservers with >100k
messages per day
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Re: Ruleset load order dependencies

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 05:25:19PM -0800, byrnejb wrote:
> info: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined dependency
> 'RAZOR2_CHECK'
> info: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined dependency 'DCC_CHECK'
> info: rules: meta test DIGEST_MULTIPLE has undefined dependency
> 'PYZOR_CHECK'
>
> I have gathered from the documentation that rules prefaced with 20_ will
> load before those with 25_.

Right.

> Is this the reason for the error I am seeing,
> that DIGEST_MULTIPLE refers to a rule not yet loaded?  If so, is this a bug
> since the files in /usr/share/spamassassin are not, as I understand, to be
> modified locally?

No.  The problem is that you don't have the modules loaded which would let the
rules get defined.  The meta dependencies are checked after everything has
loaded.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"There's not much you can do to ruin strips of marinated boneless chicken