Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2019/04/20 01:57:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] Frontend distro of NetBeans

Hi all,

I think one of the coolest things we could do together is spin out a
separate distro specifically for PHP/JS type developers.

We had that before, it only requires JRE, not JDK, and would mean the
potential for a small snappy editor-focused tool (that as a side effect
could be interesting for users of a few comparable editors we can all think
of).

And that would bring in new contributions too since we’d be targeting a
different type of developer.

What would need for this to be done and where? Probably something would
need to be tweaked on Jenkins?

Thanks,

Gj

Re: [DISCUSS] Frontend distro of NetBeans

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
I don't see that as a requirement. In the same way as the experimental
installer we have right now, we could create an installer for this which,
if no JRE is present, a message would appear that it needs to be obtained
from some specific place -- what that place is is the question.

Gj

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well,

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.
> I like something like "Apache NetBeans: PHP Edition", or something of the like.

I agree with this. I prefer to use the same name(i.e. not xxBeans but
NetBeans).

Plus we should run unit tests(especially php.editor) if possible. I
didn't notice for a long time that unit tests fail after GraalJS
parser was removed...

Thanks,
Junichi

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Apr 20, 2019, at 10:31 AM, Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> wrote:
>
> This may have been brought up before but is there any talk about a python enabled NetBeans. My program at Dawson is planning to drop PHP because the job market demand here has dropped while requests for Python have increased. I know there is a plug-in but could it be more? I agree with continuing targeted NetBeans and having a PHP version. Then there is Go, Rust and for April Fools we will need a GW-Basic version. Extra points if you know what GW stands for.

Well there has been Python support in NetBeans in the past, and that has been supported by nbPython:
http://nbpython.org/buildnbpython.html <http://nbpython.org/buildnbpython.html>

Who have just kept the contrib modules up to date as noted on the above page; see this:
http://hg.netbeans.org/main/contrib/file <http://hg.netbeans.org/main/contrib/file>

Go there and search for Python. As these actually belong to NetBeans and Oracle and have continued to live with the project, then there should be nothing really keeping this from now being moved over to Apache. I’m sure the nbPython guys could use some help and would appreciate it:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/2017+Release <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/2017+Release> (not sure if this happened)

But, I suggest we do get this moved to Apache and the repos, but too, that anyone interested in this to please help out. I suggest we start a separate thread for this being sure not to sue reply.

Thanks,

Wade

Re: [DISCUSS] Frontend distro of NetBeans

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.
This may have been brought up before but is there any talk about a python enabled NetBeans. My program at Dawson is planning to drop PHP because the job market demand here has dropped while requests for Python have increased. I know there is a plug-in but could it be more? I agree with continuing targeted NetBeans and having a PHP version. Then there is Go, Rust and for April Fools we will need a GW-Basic version. Extra points if you know what GW stands for.

Ken Fogel
Co-Chairperson and Co-Program Coordinater
Computer Science Technology
Dawson College
3040 Sherbrooke St. W
Westmount, Quebec