Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID> on 2021/01/15 02:09:41 UTC

Iceberg sync notes - 6 January 2021

Hi everyone,

I've written up my notes from the last Iceberg sync
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YuGhUdukLP5gGiqCbk0A5_Wifqe2CZWgOd3TbhY3UQg/edit#heading=h.462j8ldqku8z>.
Thanks to everyone that attended! Sorry that I didn't get to the notes
before now.

There are a couple of things to note. First, I think we should have a
design discussion on the secondary indexes proposal as the next step. Let's
set that up on the thread that Miao started.

Second, we had a good discussion about schema extensions and talked about
primary keys. The consensus in the sync was to try to communicate the
information about which columns identify rows, but not call it a primary
key because that could be misleading if uniqueness is not enforced. I know
that there is a PR for primary key information, so I want to highlight it
here to have more discussion with people that couldn't make it to the sync.

Everything else is in the notes. Feel free to add or suggest changes if
I've missed anything. Thanks!

rb

--
Ryan Blue