Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Dennis Ignacio <de...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/29 20:13:18 UTC

Worker dies in the middle of processing

I have storm-0.9.2 installed in a 5-node cluster. I have a simple topology
with 1 spout and varying number of bolts (4, 9, 22, 31). For each
configuration I have configured (#bolts + 1) workers. Thus for 4 bolts, I
have 5 workers, 22 bolts 23 workers, etc.  I have observed failed worker
processes in the worker log files with corresponding *EndOfStream exception*
in the zookeeper.out log file. When I do get a clean test run the total
number of tuples are accounted for and each worker processes the same
amount of tuples. I'm attributing this to the shufflegrouping's even
distribution.

On a non-clean test run, the workers that fail attempt to reconnect.
However since the total number of tuples are finite and the spout has
emitted all of them, there are no more tuples to process. Also the total
number of tuples processed is less than the actual finite amount. What are
the possible causes for a worker to die in the middle of processing?

*Cluster environment:*

Apache Storm 0.9.2

Zookeeper 3.4.6

Ubuntu 13.10

*Excerpt from zookeeper.out:*

*2014-10-29 11:40:52,136 [myid:] - WARN
[NIOServerCxn.Factory:0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:2181:NIOServerCnxn@357
<ht...@357>] - caught end of stream
exception*

*EndOfStreamException: Unable to read additional data from client sessionid
0x1495d312a4f002d, likely client has closed socket*

*        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.NIOServerCnxn.doIO(NIOServerCnxn.java:228)*

*        at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.NIOServerCnxnFactory.run(NIOServerCnxnFactory.java:208)*

*        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)*

*2014-10-29 11:40:52,137 [myid:] - INFO
[NIOServerCxn.Factory:0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:2181:NIOServerCnxn@1007
<ht...@1007>] - Closed socket