Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2019/05/21 22:01:11 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache PLC4X 0.4.0 RC1

This is the discussion thread for the corresponding VOTE thread.

Please keep discussions in this thread to simplify the counting of votes.

If you have to vote -1 please mention a brief description on why and then take the details to this thread.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache PLC4X 0.4.0 RC1

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi all,

I am just checking the rc and I observed that the confluence site is quite outdated ("check incubating in it..").
I suggest that we move that to our homepage (?) and update it a bit AND it would be good to state which maven profiles are relevant for the release, i.e, what we should run to verify the release.
As I'm insure which modules (or profiles) we release, like, e.g., sandbox.

Julian

Am 22.05.19, 09:29 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    Yeah ...

    That's not even used for testing. It's one of the modules, I have no idea what they are used for.

    Having a look at it, I would even suggest getting rid of it. It's using GPL stuff and isn't really used and seems to be designed for the ADS protocol only.

    But for now: Yes, it's just for testing and benchmarking and isn't needed for using PLC4X (I would even say, it's completely useless for using PLC4X)

    Chris

    Am 22.05.19, 07:56 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

        Hi,

        These ones from ./plc4j/protocols/benchmarks/pom.xml

            <!-- GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2, with the Classpath exception see https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang/dependencies.html-->
            <dependency>
              <groupId>org.openjdk.jmh</groupId>
              <artifactId>jmh-core</artifactId>
            </dependency>
            <!-- GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2, with the Classpath exception see https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang/dependencies.html-->
            <dependency>
              <groupId>org.openjdk.jmh</groupId>
              <artifactId>jmh-generator-annprocess</artifactId>
              <scope>provided</scope>
            </dependency>

        Thanks,
        Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache PLC4X 0.4.0 RC1

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Regarding the year number ...

I've made sure this is automatically updated. Also did I start work on having other parts of our site automatically adapt to the current state.
For example the groovy-maven-plugin is now used to define some dynamic properties with useful version numbers so we can automate
The release documentation to always provide an up to date documentation a release-manager could simply copy+paste.
However I need to investigate how to get the dynamic properties into asciidoc ... we'll probably have to provide a custom extension for this.

Chris

Am 22.05.19, 10:53 schrieb "Sebastian Rühl" <se...@googlemail.com.INVALID>:

    JMH is used to microbenchmark the protocol stack. Currently it is only implemented for ADS.
    As these licenses habe a classpath exception they should be safe to use. Pretty sure we checked this with legal back then (thus the XML commemts)

    Sebastian

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> JMH is used to microbenchmark the protocol stack. Currently it is only implemented for ADS.
> As these licenses habe a classpath exception they should be safe to use. Pretty sure we checked this with legal back then (thus the XML commemts)

It’s an optional dependanc, that is seem no one is likely to use, so that’s all fine.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache PLC4X 0.4.0 RC1

Posted by Sebastian Rühl <se...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Justin,

Yes, that is correct. As far as I can remember. Which ones are you talking about?

Chris

Outlook für Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36> herunterladen

________________________________
I notice the pom includes GPL dependancies, it seems that they are optional and only used for running the tests. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache PLC4X 0.4.0 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.