Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by jblack4 <th...@accenture.com> on 2009/04/02 00:12:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Authenticate only once for IP address or DNS name or alias

I have Digest authentication working if the user enters IP address in the
browser.  If that application then makes a request for data to either the
fully qualified DNS name or intranet alias (of that same server), the user
gets prompted again for username and password.

Is there a way to make the same authentication session work for all 3
combination (IP, DNS, alias)?  Is it an apache setup issue, DNS issue or is
this just the way it works?

Re: [users@httpd] Authenticate only once for IP address or DNS name or alias

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 6:12 PM, jblack4 <th...@accenture.com> wrote:

> I have Digest authentication working if the user enters IP address in the
> browser.  If that application then makes a request for data to either the
> fully qualified DNS name or intranet alias (of that same server), the user
> gets prompted again for username and password.
>
> Is there a way to make the same authentication session work for all 3
> combination (IP, DNS, alias)?  Is it an apache setup issue, DNS issue or is
> this just the way it works?

It's your browser declining to automatically send your credentials to
what it thinks is a different host.  I don't think you'll  get it to
behave any different, unless you force a canonical hostname before
authenticating.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com