Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2001/09/18 11:47:13 UTC

Suggestion for Improvement

Hello folks,

I reported severe problems with libs not getting loaded a while ago, now
I found out what the problem was. I was using the Java Mail API and had
the appropriate jar in my block's lib directory. Every time my block
tried to access the Mail API, it simply aborted without any Exception
whatsoever. This led me to believe that it didn't find the mail.jar, but
in reality it didn't find the activation.jar from the Java Activation
Framework, which is apparently used by the Mail API.

So, whenever a third-party jar uses another third-party jar, Avalon
simply stops without any error message. Is it possible to improve that
or is it the vendor's fault that his jars perhaps don't throw
exceptions?

cheers,

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: Suggestion for Improvement

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:47, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> I reported severe problems with libs not getting loaded a while ago, now
> I found out what the problem was. I was using the Java Mail API and had
> the appropriate jar in my block's lib directory. Every time my block
> tried to access the Mail API, it simply aborted without any Exception
> whatsoever. This led me to believe that it didn't find the mail.jar, but
> in reality it didn't find the activation.jar from the Java Activation
> Framework, which is apparently used by the Mail API.
>
> So, whenever a third-party jar uses another third-party jar, Avalon
> simply stops without any error message. Is it possible to improve that
> or is it the vendor's fault that his jars perhaps don't throw
> exceptions?

Well somewhere along the line a ClassNotFoundException should occur. This
*should* be reported in the logs somewhere and would have given you correct
indication that it was activation classes that are missing.

If it didn't appear in the log then it appears that some code is swallowing
the exception somewhere. It could be in mail.jar, your code or avalons code.
If it is in Avalons code then it is an error (ie we should be reporting the
error). I would hope that mail.jar would also propogate the error.

If you could isolate where the error is thrown and who it is caught by that
would make it easier to determine if avalon is at error and how we *fix* this
if it is ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete