Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Billy Bones <ga...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/10 15:57:58 UTC

Multiple instances?

Hi guys,

I'm currently preparing a migration of our Operating System which handle
our current tomcat installation from an OLD Linux using init scripts to a
CentOS7 release using sytemd.

Because I don't want to disturb the way the old server handle the webapps
(not yet :-) ), I have to start 2 separated instances of tomcat on the new
machine.

Using init script to boot multiples instance is quite easy, but know I'll
use systemd and I have to adapt.

I installed my OS and Tomcat from the CentOS repos, take a look at the
tomcat.service unit and tomcat-sysd script to see how the things work.
But now I'm a little bit disappointed, I don't understand how to have
multiple instances.

I created a tomcat@jcr.service unit file on my systemd directory and read
about the steps to achieve.

The first step said that *"by default SERVICE_NAME=tomcat. and must be
defined BEFORE tomcat-sysd is called"*

Well, OK, but how am I suppose to do that? Using environnement variables?
PreStartExec directive? Environnement directive?

I really don't get it, even looking at the tomcat-sysd wrapper script which
indicate me HOW the system run multiple instance don't help me to
understand WHERE am I suppose to put that information.

I understand that I have to create a new unit file, a new
/etc/sysconfig/tomcat file named according to the systemd unit, but I don't
get it about the SERVICE_NAME.

So if someone could help me a little bit, I'll be happy ^^

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 26/01/2015 13:57, Billy Bones wrote:
> Hi guys, thank for your informations regarding the Wiki, I've finally
> managed to create my account ^^ (later is better than never as we said over
> there :D) and as expected to add a new entry on the FAQ/HowTo I need to be
> whitelisted or granted to edit mode, so if a moderator could add me it
> would be nice.

And your wiki user name is ... ?

Mark

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 26/01/2015 16:13, Billy Bones wrote:
> Hi Markt, my wiki alias username is ArKam and my Real username is
> GaelTherond, thank you very much.

You should have access now.

Mark

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Billy Bones <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Markt, my wiki alias username is ArKam and my Real username is
GaelTherond, thank you very much.

@Chris: Ok, thanks a lot for your explanations, it's crystal clear to me
now, as you said, it should be something specific to systemd as it reside
under the /etc/sysconfig/tomcat file which is use to set some variables to
start the JVM.

I'm working on a RHEL 7 right now instead of the CentOS from my first mail
as I'm cooking a new PROD server, the two distro use exactly the same
configs.

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Billy Bones <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Billy Bones <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Billy Bones <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Billy Bones <ga...@gmail.com>.
Ok soooo, here is a small update.

I've finally found what does this SERVICE_NAME mean, indeed you have to
copy the original unit, then add the Systemd's directive
 named Environment like this:

Environment="SERVICE_NAME=<YOUROWNSERVICENAMEHERE"

then you will copy the default tomcat config file found on the
/etc/sysconfig directory.

And as you supposed it Cristophe and Daniel, you then have to copy the
whole CATALINA_{HOME/BASE} or update the previous config file to point out
to another tomcat installation.

I hope it would help someone ;-)

Re: Multiple instances?

Posted by Billy Bones <ga...@gmail.com>.