Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Ranjith Kodikara <ra...@dmsswt.com> on 2004/07/09 09:06:49 UTC

Is Axis much faster than SOAP?

Hi,
    Is it true that apache Axis is much faster than SOAP? Because Web Services communicate with RPC, the normal RPC overhead of communication should be occurred in the marshalling processes at the client and sever stubs. Doesn't this happen  in the communication of Axis web services? Or Is there any communication speed enhancements achieved by some other things?
   (Yesterday only I configured Tomcat and deployed example Axis web service and it's nice to see that it can be deployed very easily. )

Regards,
Ranjith (ranjith@dmsswt.com)

Re: Is Axis much faster than SOAP?

Posted by Jim Murphy <jm...@mindreef.com>.
I've never seen a benchmark comparing Apache SOAP with Apache Axis.
Anyone know of one?

Also, neither of them have anything to do with traditional RPC
implementations so I'm not sure what you mean by the "normal RPC
overhead" you mention.  If you mean both incur network I/O overhead that
would certainly be true.

Both implement SOAP stacks - Apache SOAP is restricted to rpc/enc style
SOAP messages while Axis supports the more modern doc/lit approach as
well as rpc/enc.

Performance impact would come from the marshaling layers of both stacks.
  This depends to a large extent on he XML parsing and the Java-XML
binding technology used.  Also Axis has a plugin model for adding
handlers to the input/out chain.  Anything these handlers did would also
impact request throughput and scalability.

So its not an easy comparison - but know that Apache Axis supersedes
Apache SOAP.  IIRC, Apache SOAP is a dead end project.

Jim Murphy
Mindreef, Inc.

Posted by Hrishikesh Kumar <Hr...@caritor.com>.

Axis is nothing but implementation of SOAP specification. I dont understand
what you are comparing Axis against.

Thanks,
Hrishikesh.

             "Ranjith
             Kodikara"
             <ranjith@dmsswt.c                                          To
             om>                       <ax...@ws.apache.org>
                                                                        cc
             07/09/2004 12:36
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Is Axis much faster than SOAP?

             Please respond to
             axis-user@ws.apac
                  he.org