Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by oliver kuntze <ol...@union-investment.de> on 2008/12/15 11:40:02 UTC

Re: JBI and OSGi interaction on ServiceMix 4.0...

Hi all,

did I get it right that with SMX4 it is possible to deploy JBI binding
components and service engines as JBI artifacts into the JBI container of
the NMR layer as well as as bundles into the OSGi container? Did I get it
right that the packaging only depends on the style of the Spring/xbean xml
configuration and the Maven artifact plugin used?

Did I get it right that JBI endpoints/SUs can be deployed to the
corresponding JBI components packaged as JBI service units or as OSGi
bundles? Did I get it right that the packaging only depends on the Maven
artifact plugin used and if the endpoints are wrapped by the
org.apache.servicemix.common.osgi.EndpointExporter provided in the xbean
config?

If yes, can I deploy a non-OSGi-packaged JBI endpoint to an OSGi-packaged
JBI component? And can I deploy an OSGi-packaged JBI endpoint to a
non-OSGi-packaged JBI component?

How do I have to deploy JBI shared libraries? Can I deploy them both ways,
as OSGi bundles and plain old SMX3 style shared libs?

Everything is so new in SMX4! ;-)

Thanks a lot in advance for any insights!

Cheers

Oliver

Re: JBI and OSGi interaction on ServiceMix 4.0...

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 11:40, oliver kuntze
<ol...@union-investment.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> did I get it right that with SMX4 it is possible to deploy JBI binding
> components and service engines as JBI artifacts into the JBI container of
> the NMR layer as well as as bundles into the OSGi container? Did I get it
> right that the packaging only depends on the style of the Spring/xbean xml
> configuration and the Maven artifact plugin used?

Yes, both the standard JBI packaging and OSGi packaging are supported
for deploying JBI artifacts.  Note the following restrictions though:
  * JBI shared libraries packaged as OSGi bundles are not supported
    (it does not really make sense, and using pure OSGi bundles is the
     way to deploy bundles correctly)
  * deploying a JBI component packaged as OSGi bundles involves some
    non JBI stuff, like registering the component in the OSGi registry.
    All ServiceMix JBI components do that.
  * deploying JBI endpoints from OSGi bundles (instead of using JBI service
    assemblies) involves some shared knowledge between components and
    the endpoints.  This only works with ServiceMix components.

> Did I get it right that JBI endpoints/SUs can be deployed to the
> corresponding JBI components packaged as JBI service units or as OSGi
> bundles? Did I get it right that the packaging only depends on the Maven
> artifact plugin used and if the endpoints are wrapped by the
> org.apache.servicemix.common.osgi.EndpointExporter provided in the xbean
> config?

Yes, see above

> If yes, can I deploy a non-OSGi-packaged JBI endpoint to an OSGi-packaged
> JBI component?

Yes

> And can I deploy an OSGi-packaged JBI endpoint to a
> non-OSGi-packaged JBI component?

No. The reason is that the OSGi packaging does not use service units,
which is the
way pure JBI components work.

> How do I have to deploy JBI shared libraries? Can I deploy them both ways,
> as OSGi bundles and plain old SMX3 style shared libs?

See above.  Shared libraries as OSGi bundles do not really make sense.
Just deploy the bundles.

> Everything is so new in SMX4! ;-)
>
> Thanks a lot in advance for any insights!
>
> Cheers
>
> Oliver

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet