Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Twiggs, Glenn" <Gl...@bmc.com> on 1999/11/12 16:53:56 UTC

ant question

This question is a little out of scope for this list, but please bear with
me...

I have been struggling with GNU make as a build tool for java projects, and
would really like to use ant in it's place. I was unable to find any other
reference to this tool on the apache (or any other!) site, so I am
addressing my questions here:

* Can ant be used "standalone", i.e. outside of an Apache project?
* Is the ant tool under the apache license?
* Is there more doc available for it than shows up in the jakarta-tools
project?
* How do I submit changes for this tool? (Specifically: while playing around
with ant I tried to use an "<exec .../>" tag, which caused a
NullPointerException. If I can use ant, I'd be happy to get this working!)

Thanks for listening.

Glenn.

Re: ant question

Posted by James Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
> 1) CVS tasks: it should be easy create/update/construct the build files
> from CVS modules, expecially when there are shared files.

Ok. I.e
    <cvs modulename="jakarta-watchdog" location="../"/>

> 2) Javadoc tasks: it should be easy to manage 1.1 and 1.2 javadoc
> differences, as well as using new doclets (like the planned Cocoon's XML
> Doclet)

Yep. That was on my futures list as well. Sounds good.

> 3) XSLT tasks: it should be easy to create things using XML+XSLT. These
> include: documentation (in both HTML and PDF), raster/vector images and
> code. This will use Cocoon/StyleBook in its command-line mode.

Sounds good as well.

> 4) crond-like operation: for automatic builds

This would probably better be some other utility. A schedule tool that can
automatically call into a class's main (or other method) at a specific time.

> 5) possibility to have log output in XML: for easier
> filtering/trasforming/publishing.

Ok.

> 6) mail capabilities: add SMTP client capabilities for forwarding logs
> depending on critical events such as (i.e. success -> no mail, warning
> -> list, error -> list + webmaster)

Interesting. I see this as a seperate entrance point. Main is for use by
interactive shells. You could provide a ScheduledMain entrance point which
would do the email notifications. The configuration could be part of the top
level project file:

    <project>
      <scheduledbuilds>
        <notification emailaddr="duncan@x180.com"/>
      </scheduledbuilds>
    </project>

I wouldn't make it operate on the same entrance point as you don't want
emails flying around from normal command line usage.

So, everything except points 5 can be done as tasks and won't shake the core
at all. 5 hits the core, but there's not enough there to be too long a
process..

I've taken these and created a TODO list (with a few other things that have
been on my list) -- will be checking in soon.

.duncan

Re: ant question

Posted by James Todd <jw...@pacbell.net>.
agreed. a common util it should be ... and i'm sure there is a boat
load of other gems to be found in this space as well.

i can throw the work i've done in the past on the table so that we
can kick it about and figure out if we can find it a cvs home from
whence to make this happen.

- james

Re: ant question

Posted by Brett McLaughlin <bm...@algx.net>.

Re: ant question

Posted by James Todd <jw...@pacbell.net>.

Re: ant question

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: ant question

Posted by James Davidson <du...@x180.com>.

Re: ant question

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Sean Shanny wrote:

> Stefano,
>
> Are you addressing any of the issues dealing with classpath 'fixing up' in
> the taskdefs/Javac.java file.  I was planning on taking care of all the
> XXX issues.

Go right ahead. I'm trying to clean up things a little behind the tasks
to use more advanced design patterns and allow easier integration with
other Apache technologies.

But this will be done on a new branch/module and I'll make sure to merge
the two trees when the other branch is stable enough.

I wouldn't want to break tomcat development just because of my lack of
time :)

So, do as you please, my lock request is released.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: ant question

Posted by Sean Shanny <ss...@tripod.com>.
Stefano,

Are you addressing any of the issues dealing with classpath 'fixing up' in
the taskdefs/Javac.java file.  I was planning on taking care of all the
XXX issues.

Thanks.

--sean

Re: ant question

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: ant question

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Question: when somebody asks for a lock, should he actually lock the
> CVS? Is this a good practice?

No. If you ask for a lock, people should try to hold off inessential
changes, but the bottom line is you need to deal with the merging when
you come to commit - anything else prevents people from developing when
they happen to have time to do so, and although merging can be painful,
it usually isn't.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: ant question

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'll take care of cleaning up + licensing.

Sounds good to me ... thanks.

Craig

Re: ant question

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Craig McClanahan wrote:

> costin@eng.sun.com wrote:
>

> > > * Is the ant tool under the apache license?
> >
> > Yes.
> >

> NOTE:  The license is missing from the first few "ant" source files I checked.  A
> little clean up needs to be done here -- I'll work on it this weekend if nobody
> beats me.

Please, don't. Thank you for your offert, Craig, but I have a bunch of
stuff already done on the plain trip to Sweden that I couldn't commit.

Re: ant question

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cm...@mytownnet.com>.
costin@eng.sun.com wrote:

> > * Is the ant tool under the apache license?
>
> Yes.

NOTE:  The license is missing from the first few "ant" source files I checked.  A
little clean up needs to be done here -- I'll work on it this weekend if nobody
beats me.

Craig McClanahan

Re: ant question

Posted by co...@eng.sun.com.
> * Can ant be used "standalone", i.e. outside of an Apache project?

Yes, I use it for most of my Java projects.

> * Is the ant tool under the apache license?

Yes.

> * Is there more doc available for it than shows up in the jakarta-tools
> project?

Source code only, but it's easy enough.

> * How do I submit changes for this tool? (Specifically: while playing around
> with ant I tried to use an "<exec .../>" tag, which caused a
> NullPointerException. If I can use ant, I'd be happy to get this working!)

I would love to see exec fixed, and few more tags to help with the automatic
build.

Costin

Re: ant question

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
James Davidson wrote:

> > * Can ant be used "standalone", i.e. outside of an Apache project?
>
> Sure.
>
> > * Is the ant tool under the apache license?
>
> Yep.
>
> > * Is there more doc available for it than shows up in the jakarta-tools
> > project?
>
> Nope. I've got it on my list (I was the original author of ant)... Just
> trying to find the time to do that. Right now, the best way to get a feel
> for it is to read the code.

I'm currently trying to use Ant on the xml.apache.org projects, cleaning
it up a little and adding really good stuff (code generation using
XML/XSLT capabilities!).

Stay tuned for more info on tomcat-dev.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: ant question

Posted by James Davidson <du...@x180.com>.
> * Can ant be used "standalone", i.e. outside of an Apache project?

Sure.

> * Is the ant tool under the apache license?

Yep.

> * Is there more doc available for it than shows up in the jakarta-tools
> project?

Nope. I've got it on my list (I was the original author of ant)... Just
trying to find the time to do that. Right now, the best way to get a feel
for it is to read the code.

> * How do I submit changes for this tool? (Specifically: while playing
around
> with ant I tried to use an "<exec .../>" tag, which caused a
> NullPointerException. If I can use ant, I'd be happy to get this working!)

Send patches to the tomcat-dev list for now and I'll integrate them. And,
the exec tag isn't yet working -- it's been on my list as well, but if you
provide a working version, I'll be happy to integrate it! :)

.duncan