Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com> on 2013/11/03 21:13:03 UTC

IOS7 status bar management ( FLEX-33860)

Hi Team,

iOS7 manages the status bar differently than iOS 6.1:   application is displayed in full screen and the status bar is displayed on top of the app, either in black or white font color (depending on some setting).

Current flex apps running on iOS7 will have the status bar partly covering the top navigation bar buttons and text.

The usual workaround is to increase ActionBar paddingTop to remove the overlap.

(see : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33860)

I would like to discuss the different approaches for a permanent fix of this issue  in the Flex SDK.

There are two points to discuss:  how to provide room for the status bar,  and how to determine/control when to do it:

Point #1: how to provide room for the status Bar:

Option 1) increase the top ActionBar paddingTop, to leave space for the status bar.

Note that the top padding must be applied to the top ActionBar only, not to the other ActionBars.
This is easy for ViewNavigatorApplication, but not obvious when the ActionBar(s) are added indirectly, for example through SplitViewNavigator.
This could be done eg. by testing the ActionBar stage y, and add the padding if < 10

Option 2) modify the various mobile  ApplicationSkin classes (ApplicaitonSkin, TabbedViewNavigatorApplicationSkin, ViewNavigatorApplicationSkin) to leave 20 px space for the status bar.
This space could be filled with application background color, instead of being black.

----

Point #2:  How to determine when to add the top padding:

Option 1)
- Dynamically determine that application is running on iOS7 (based on Capabilities.version and Capabilities.os)
- Size the padding top accordingly ( set if IOS7, not set if not IOS7)

⇨ Simple, but not flexible.

Option 2)
- Introduce a new numerical   os-version  @media selector

Eg.

@media (application-dpi: 160) AND (os-platform:"IOS") AND (os-version >= 7) {
     statusBarHeight: 20;
}

Pros:  opens up new possilibilities, for example to provide iOS7 specific skins.
Cons: much more difficult to implement.

_____

What do you think ?

Maurice

RE: IOS7 status bar management ( FLEX-33860)

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
I think it can be solved at the SDK level.

have been working on it but still didn't have time to complete.

AFAIU, it's more or less adding a paddingTop to ActionBar, when running on iOS7.

Maurice

Posted by Christian Kiefer <ch...@goal-games.de>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
There's already one:

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.
cant remember where (it was a week or 2 ago); either the apple dev site
or a blog - but i'm not an ios dev either so i may have misunderstood

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

RE: IOS7 status bar management ( FLEX-33860)

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Hi,

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: IOS7 status bar management ( FLEX-33860)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Lee Burrows <su...@leeburrows.com>.

--
Lee Burrows
ActionScripter

Re: Flex and server technology

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Very interesting Fréderic,

thanks for the info! :)

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

RE: Flex and server technology

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Just sent the author (Shashank Tiwari) an email with the hope he would like to contribute it to blazeDS, let's see as well on this side.

Frédéric THOMAS

AW: AW: Flex and server technology

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
+1 as Long as we extend the comparison with a "language" column ;-)

Chris
Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Anyone have worked with the Red5 Server yet? Would really like to see that popup in the comparison list.
http://www.red5.org/

Chris

Posted by Marcio Fermino <pr...@gmail.com>.
Exato..

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

--

João Fernandes

Re: AW: Flex and server technology

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.

--

João Fernandes

RE: AW: Flex and server technology

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>.

--

João Fernandes

RE: AW: Flex and server technology

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
I added your link to https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Flex+Server+Technologies+-+Comparative+table

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/dsadapters/

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Done !

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
+1

And what is the current state of the BlazeDS donation anyway?

Flex and server technology

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
>is it recommended to go online with the 4.12.0 SDK ? I mean to update my application to Apple store and Google android store with 4.12 SDK ?
4.12 RC1, as it's name implies, is not a final release, and it may coming residual bugs.
You can decide to use it on the AppStore, but it's under your own responsibility.

If you want to stay on 4.11 with custom skin, this is how it's done in 4.12 ViewNavigatorApplicationSkin:

https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/blob/develop/frameworks/projects/mobiletheme/src/spark/skins/mobile/ViewNavigatorApplicationSkin.as

Look at the code in layoutContents

Maurice

Posted by Rami Tarabay <rt...@codefish.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Rami Tarabay <rt...@codefish.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Thanks

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/2/13 4:32 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>>The main and simple reason for that is am physically exhausted.
>Feel free to take a break or go  slow for a while, you don't have to fix
>something every day. Plus it makes the rest of us look lazy :-)
Yes, definitely.

-Alex

Re: IOS7 status bar management ( FLEX-33860)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
>Again, I don't really understand this particular issue, but why don't other non-Flex IOS apps have to react to this difference when running on IOS?  Or are they?

As Om said, many non-native iOS frameworks are dealing with this issue.
Even iOS native apps developers are "annoyed" by this change.

Alex,

After evaluating the new  proposal again (changing iOS to more W3C compliant css selectors),  I realize that I will not be able to do it, although I agree on the principle.

So I will keep it as "os-version", and just implement the version-computation for Android (using build.prop file) (and of course fix the failed mustella tests).

It's not that bad, and it will certainly be useful to handle iOS 7 / Android skins.

The main and simple reason for that is am physically exhausted. It's just too much work for me.
Moreover, I already committed to many other Flex tasks and I have to prioritize things.

I Hope you understand.

I will get back to it later in a few months.

Maurice

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
>I think mozilla's custom properties is more on the right track.  IOW, what is it about the screen that is or isn't changing?
>Whatever it is, while it got introduced in IOS 7, it doesn't mean that whatever it is won't be implemented in other OS's over time, or that there will someday be an option to turn that thing on and off.  So if it is a status >bar appearing, maybe the property should simply be called pop-up-status-bar, or maybe the code should be watching for changes to screen-height or something like that.

I see what you mean. Mozilla has other props like that:
" -moz-scrollbar-thumb-proportional"

So it could be implemented as :
"-flex-status-bar-overlap"
And maybe:
"-ios-theme"=ios7|classic

But technically, there is no way of knowing that the status bar is overlapping, based on "os-independent"screen change).
The only valid test at the moment is the following:
- OS=iOS and version >= 7 + other iOS specific settings in air descriptor file.

Same for ios-theme => the internal test is based on the os+version.

 Another point is that this same "os-version" prop was meant to be used for seting different skins for different versions of Androids ( suggestion from Om)
Here again, we could have defined android-specific props such as:
"-flex-android-theme=A|B|C"

WDYT?

Maurice

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
> 1) Flex cheats already, but non-standard media query properties I think are supposed to be prefixed with a "-" and owner.

That's correct.  As you said, Flex does not follow this rule already.
Even more, I would say that NONE of flex media selectors are standard (type, application-dpi, os-platform, os-version), even when the equivalent exists.
(If flex followed W3C,  application-dpi should have been named resolution: XXX dpi)
And Flex does not support any of the standard media css selectors (width, height, orientation, etc...)

> 2) It is interesting that the W3C doesn't think that os-version is necessary.

They don't even have os-platform.  I guess that's in the W3C approach,  "brand" characteristics are too specific.
Mozilla is on the other extreme, with css queries such as "-moz-mac-graphite-theme" and " -moz-windows-default-theme".
Can't be more specific than that :-).

Anyway, I think it's too late to change that:
- changing the existing css selectors (eg. os-platform => -flex-os-platform,  or application-dpi to resolution)  would break existing applications
- implementing standard W3C media css selectors will be difficult to implement, and may conflict with other Flex  "responsive-design" techniques (states)

WDYT ?

Maurice

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 3, 2013 12:13 PM, "Maurice Amsellem" <ma...@systar.com>
wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> iOS7 manages the status bar differently than iOS 6.1:   application is
displayed in full screen and the status bar is displayed on top of the app,
either in black or white font color (depending on some setting).

> Current flex apps running on iOS7 will have the status bar partly
covering the top navigation bar buttons and text.

> The usual workaround is to increase ActionBar paddingTop to remove the
overlap.

> (see : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33860)
>
> I would like to discuss the different approaches for a permanent fix of
this issue  in the Flex SDK.

> There are two points to discuss:  how to provide room for the status bar,
 and how to determine/control when to do it:

> Point #1: how to provide room for the status Bar:
>
> Option 1) increase the top ActionBar paddingTop, to leave space for the
status bar.

> Note that the top padding must be applied to the top ActionBar only, not
to the other ActionBars.
> This is easy for ViewNavigatorApplication, but not obvious when the
ActionBar(s) are added indirectly, for example through SplitViewNavigator.
> This could be done eg. by testing the ActionBar stage y, and add the
padding if < 10

> Option 2) modify the various mobile  ApplicationSkin classes
(ApplicaitonSkin, TabbedViewNavigatorApplicationSkin,
ViewNavigatorApplicationSkin) to leave 20 px space for the status bar.
> This space could be filled with application background color, instead of
being black.

I prefer option 2.  Sounds like a cleaner approach.

> ----
>
> Point #2:  How to determine when to add the top padding:
>
> Option 1)
> - Dynamically determine that application is running on iOS7 (based on
Capabilities.version and Capabilities.os)
> - Size the padding top accordingly ( set if IOS7, not set if not IOS7)
>
> ⇨ Simple, but not flexible.
>
> Option 2)
> - Introduce a new numerical   os-version  @media selector
>
> Eg.
>
> @media (application-dpi: 160) AND (os-platform:"IOS") AND (os-version >=
7) {
>      statusBarHeight: 20;
> }
>
> Pros:  opens up new possilibilities, for example to provide iOS7 specific
skins.
> Cons: much more difficult to implement.

Again option 2 sounds better.  This will also help us with the Android 4.x
specific skins we are planning to add as well.

Thanks,
Om