Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> on 2000/04/20 16:02:56 UTC

Servlet/JSP timeouts

When using servlets and JSP with a web server, is there any ability
to set a timeout for when the servlet container will terminate a
servlet or JSP if it hasn't completed its processing yet?

This is an issue about reliability.  I was able to write a JSP that
when compiled by ServletExec never terminated, just sat there with
the JVM using 45% of the CPU.  I had to kill servletexec and restart
it.  This was inadvertant, not intentional.  I was just playing around
with the AlphaWorks JSPFormat beans in a JSP page using standard JSP
tags.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: Servlet/JSP timeouts

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> When using servlets and JSP with a web server, is there any ability
> to set a timeout for when the servlet container will terminate a
> servlet or JSP if it hasn't completed its processing yet?

Tomcat does not currently have such a capability.  It would make a useful
addition.  Any volunteers?

> This is an issue about reliability.  I was able to write a JSP that
> when compiled by ServletExec never terminated, just sat there with
> the JVM using 45% of the CPU.  I had to kill servletexec and restart
> it.  This was inadvertant, not intentional.  I was just playing around
> with the AlphaWorks JSPFormat beans in a JSP page using standard JSP
> tags.
>
> Regards,
>
> Glenn

Craig McClanahan