Posted to dev@bval.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/04 08:45:48 UTC

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

On May 27, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> Hi all guys,
> sorry for joining so late the discussion but I got too much distracted
> by apache-commons :P
> Indeed, I think that Commons would be the perfect place to host BVAL,
> IMHO perfectly fits as commons-validator2.
> Anyway I don't have any objection on proposing it as TLP if the
> majority thinks that that's BVAL future.

I'm pretty much in agreement with Simone. It seems the majority would favor TLP, however -- which is fine, too.

So... if the community wants to graduate, the community will need to make it happen... Incubation is not a process that lasts forever. We should be moving towards graduation -- http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

--kevan

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 4, 2011, at 9:33 AM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Gerhard Petracek <gp...@apache.org> wrote:
>> imo they can join the effort in any case. i won't use project borders as an
>> argument (since we are still within the asf).
>
> +1 - commons knew about this incubating effort and could have joined in.
>
> I would say the only reason to go to commons would be if there were
> not enough active people for a TLP to function. If there are then a
> TLP would be better IMO.

Agreed. Also, the bar for a sub-project is perhaps a bit lower than a TLP. Either way, the community will need to drive graduation. It won't happen on it's own.

--kevan

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to see the community coming to some sort of conclusion (and acting on that conclusion :).

I think the majority felt that a TLP was best. Some others felt a Commons sub-project would be best. I'm fine with either outcome. I'll note that I do not plan on participating in the bval community post-graduation (beyond continuing in a mentor's role to insure a successful transition for the project).

Members of the community (volunteers?) will have to drive the graduation process. If we aren't willing to do this, well then maybe graduation is not an appropriate next step for Bean Validation...

--kevan

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Gerhard Petracek <gp...@apache.org> wrote:
> imo they can join the effort in any case. i won't use project borders as an
> argument (since we are still within the asf).

+1 - commons knew about this incubating effort and could have joined in.

I would say the only reason to go to commons would be if there were
not enough active people for a TLP to function. If there are then a
TLP would be better IMO.

Niall

Re: Where to, Bean Validation?

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <gp...@apache.org>.