Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Svein Erik Reknes Løvland <sv...@stud.ntnu.no> on 2008/05/01 14:09:35 UTC

location of derbyTesting.jar (again)

Hi,

I recently downloaded the bin release of 10.4.1.3 and ran some tests on
it. I found that derbyTesting.jar was located in $DERBY_HOME/test and
not in $DERBY_HOME/lib which makes me wounder if the patch I submitted
to DERBY-3638 was wrong? Why the inconsistency with the location of
derbyTesting.jar ? Which location is "correct", or have I misunderstood
something?

Re: location of derbyTesting.jar (again)

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Vemund Ostgaard <Ve...@sun.com> wrote:

>  I think perhaps Svein Erik is thinking about the fact that when building
> your own sane or insane jars, derbyTesting.jar will typically end up in
> jars/sane/ or jars/insane/ together with the product jars, but when
> downloading the release binaries it is not located with the product jars.

FWIW, there is an issue filed to resolve this incongruity:

The main issue I see with putting the jars in the same layout as the
distribution is how to separate a sane and insane build if you just
have lib and test dirs as in the distributions instead of jars/sane
and jars/insane.

andrew

Re: location of derbyTesting.jar (again)

Posted by Svein Erik Reknes Løvland <sv...@stud.ntnu.no>.
Vemund Ostgaard wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Svein Erik Reknes Løvland wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I recently downloaded the bin release of 10.4.1.3 and ran some tests
>>> on it. I found that derbyTesting.jar was located in $DERBY_HOME/test
>>> and not in $DERBY_HOME/lib which makes me wounder if the patch I
>>> submitted to DERBY-3638 was wrong? Why the inconsistency with the
>>> location of derbyTesting.jar ? Which location is "correct", or have
>>> I misunderstood something?
>>>
>>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3638
>> Hi Svein Erik,
>>
>> The location of the jar files in the 10.4.1.3 distribution looks
>> right to me. The lib directory is supposed to hold the product jars,
>> that is, the jars which we expect people will typically bundle with
>> their own applications. We don't expect that people will bundle our
>> tests with their applications, so when we generate a release we put
>> the tests in a separate location.
> I think perhaps Svein Erik is thinking about the fact that when
> building your own sane or insane jars, derbyTesting.jar will typically
> end up in jars/sane/ or jars/insane/ together with the product jars,
> but when downloading the release binaries it is not located with the
> product jars.
>
> I don't think there is a conflict here, Svein Erik. As Rick explains,
> the binary distribution is created that way on purpose. The location
> of derbyTesting.jar when building it yourself has a different
> reasoning I guess, as when building the code yourself it will normally
> be for testing purposes and not deployment.
>
> Vemund

Thanks Rick and Vemund for explaining it to me.

I guess the example in trunk/java/testing/Readme.htm is intended for
developers of Apache Derby. Which makes my patch correct. :-)

Svein Erik

Re: location of derbyTesting.jar (again)

Posted by Vemund Ostgaard <Ve...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Svein Erik Reknes Løvland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently downloaded the bin release of 10.4.1.3 and ran some tests
> on it. I found that derbyTesting.jar was located in $DERBY_HOME/test
> and not in $DERBY_HOME/lib which makes me wounder if the patch I
> submitted to DERBY-3638 was wrong? Why the inconsistency with the
> location of derbyTesting.jar ? Which location is "correct", or have I
> misunderstood something?

Hi Svein Erik,

The location of the jar files in the 10.4.1.3 distribution looks right
to me. The lib directory is supposed to hold the product jars, that is,
the jars which we expect people will typically bundle with their own
applications. We don't expect that people will bundle our tests with
their applications, so when we generate a release we put the tests in a
separate location.

Regards,
-Rick