Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Pete Farmer <pe...@ubivis.org> on 2000/05/26 23:20:17 UTC

a lurker comes out... RE: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks

Thus spake David Wagner:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wished
> >
> > I wish I had a pool of writers :( but we don't.
> >
> I've been wading in your pool for a few days, and this seems a good time to
[deletion happens]

Longtime lurker, first time poster, Pete Farmer writes:

I have been lurking on these Cocoon lists for a while now, and am
embarrassed to say that I am an excellent example of someone who has
received maximum benefit from this project, while contributing the
minimum - zero.

Meanwhile, our whole Cocoon subsystem is just bitchen', thanks!

Like all small startups, our little venture is severely resource
constrained. However we would like to contribute something, and maybe this
is our chance.

I have no idea if this is a Cocoon documentation goal, (or not), but the
last Cocoon docs I saw were not in DocBook. If this is no longer the case,
please stop reading now... since, if you're on the Cocoon mailing list
you're busy enough already!

If not, as many of you know, LDP has begun using DocBook, as has the GDP
(Gnome), and if you like the look of Brett McLaughlin's work at
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javaxml/chapter/ch09.html, there's another
good reason to consider it.

If the Cocoon group is interested in going this way too, and could
use some DocBook *expertise, (setup can be a minor hassle) I would be
happy to get things set up, do a first pass at the markup and generally
provide support in this area. The new Gnome DTDs now support .png images,
btw.
*expertise is a bit of a stretch, but I've recently set up DocBook on a
few different organic linucies, so I'm pretty confident I can get it going
on yours, and perhaps offer advise on various editing software (text and
image), set up a Makefile, use CVS, or whatever may be of use, since not
all tech writers are familiar with these tools.

If this is of interest to anyone, please lemme know. Otherwise, thanks for
all the great work done so far, and we'll continue looking for an area
where we can help.

This is in no way intended as an endorsement for DocBook, Gnome, O'Reilly
or any other entity I may have mentioned. I have no affiliation with any
of these organizations mentioned. This is strictly an offer to assist
anyone wanting to get DocBook working (properly, with images!) on the
Cocoon project. ...sorry, I don't have time to focus on WOL DP just at
the moment, before anyone asks... ;-)

Hey, our contribution to Cocoon may be small, but at least we are giving
what we can to the open-source ideal we hold sacred. Have fun!

Aloha,
Pete Farmer
--
   ubi-vis, adv. [volo], where you will, be it where it may, wherever it
   may be, anywhere, everywhere: nemo sit, quin ubivis, quam ibi, ubi

Re: coocon2 cvs snapshot?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Maciek Kaminski wrote:

> Is there a coocon2 cvs snapshot available?

Not yet.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

coocon2 cvs snapshot?

Posted by Maciek Kaminski <ma...@tiger.com.pl>.
Is there a coocon2 cvs snapshot available?

Maciek Kaminski
maciejka@tiger.com.pl

Re: a lurker comes out... RE: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 00:23 +0200 31/05/00, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>Speaking of which, I would love to see many of you people around: we
>plan to have Cocoon-dev BOFs to talk about real issues and do some
>real-life design on whiteboards.

Excellent!

>C'mon, it's ApacheCON! It's the single most important software in the
>software history! I'm sure your boss will find money and time for this,

Wot? I'm not going to have to pay for this am I? =)

Looking forward to it.

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <ma...@mac.com>     		 <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
    <phone:+44.[0].20.7737.6831>        <pa...@sms.genie.co.uk>

Re: a lurker comes out... RE: [cocoon 2] removing bottenecks

Posted by Pete Farmer <pe...@ubivis.org>.
Stefano wrote:
> mazzocchi.com? this is nothing related to me. Not even mazzocchi.it
> (unfortunately, I wanted that domain!)

Gosh, really? We're deeply disappointed to learn this. We thought you
were blowing up all those buildings with Cocoon somehow.

> C'mon, it's ApacheCON! It's the single most important software in the
> software history! I'm sure your boss will find money and time for this,
> after all, you might well be ahead of time when XML hits the market and
> you need XML gurus around, don't you think?

Well Hey! Guess what? My boss already helps to fund Apache so I guess it
may not be too difficult to hit him up for ApacheCON Europe funding and
resource, whaddaya think? Shall I give it a try? Btw, last time we checked
the apachecon.com site, it still wasn't allowing registrations...

> And what't the best way to learn than to write the technology yourself
> or be part of the process?
>
> :-)
:-)

> (I know you can do it! Just try hard!)
Uh. Ok. But I'll skip the Kool-Aid, thanks. And I don't clip for comets.

Hey btw, I admire your ability to traverse every thread dialog on these
lists (frankly I don't know where you find the time to do anything
else!), but let's do ourselves a favour and let this one die a death, so
we can devote our attention to _real_ work. And there a dozens of other
more interesting threads on this list at the moment!

I've made attempts to contact the _2_ other names mentioned in your recent
documentation suggestions, and am awaiting reply. ?

Meanwhile, I'll happily markup (DocBook v4.0!) all the existing docs,
preserving what I can in the way of presentation. As you've seen, I use a
pretty tiny subset of DocBook, so markup was largely a search & replace
function. Some chapter organization needs done, which I'll take a first
cut at, since it's so easy to rearrange later. All that's really needed is
a basic framework IMO.

After that, I fancy myself as being more in the "logic" box than the
"content" box, which I'm expecting to translate to either helping the
content people get FOP (and Cocoon) running on their systems, and/or
markup of their plain-text content, if that's okay. How does this sound to
"management"? I am assuming that any rational person would want me kept
far from the "style" box. (that's why I use DocBook! If people don't like
my layout it's Norm's fault!)

You mentioned that HOWTOs are urgently needed. I've been culling emails on
installation problems, for FAQ and HOWTO content. Does someone already do
this? I don't want to duplicate effort.

I better stop now before I commit to more than I can realistically manage!
It's already 20:30 and I have hours of work left. Man, how do you folks
deal with so much email?!?! Now I shut up. Except that I've been surprised
recently to learn of so many people now using Cocoon in my geographic
area! We have even met with some of them, and been able to offer some
small assistance. Cool.

Aloha,
Pete Farmer

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pete Farmer <pe...@ubivis.org>.
> > Pete Farmer wrote:
> > btw, I have studied mazzocchi.com and look forward to learning of Soil
> > Remediation at Apachecon in London.

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> :-?
Sorry, that was a joke, intended to reflect my own cluelessness on the
earlier FOP issue.

I guess I got curious after yet another satisfying trip to nwalsh.com and
jclark.com, so I tried mazzocchi.com and found one of the more novel and
inspired 'e-business storefronts' or whatever these sites are called at
the moment, which I've seen in a while. Amazing.

So, no offense intended - and if there's anyone else reading this thread,
apologies if you've been horribly mislead as to the London ApachCON
agenda.

Thanks,
Pete Farmer

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pete Farmer <pe...@ubivis.org>.
On Mon, 29 May 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

[deletia]

> > Executive summary:
> > How can I make a .pdf file without using tools from other projects?
>
> Never heard of FOP? :)

Yes, but until now I haven't migrated our printing subsystem to our Apache
Java XML framework - since DocBook v3.1 works so nicely, but now is
clearly the time. Thanks for pointing this stuff out. :)

> I received your document and I have a few comments:
>
> 1) Use standard DocBook 4.0 and not any Gnome-specific version
> 2) Use Norman's DocBook->FO stylesheet to generate the FO document
> 3) And format with FOP.

All above make sense. I was just at nwalsh.com and see some
specific Xalan notes re the 21 May update. Cool. This looks pretty
much ready to go. (How could I not have noticed this? It's been up over
one week already!)

> I'm not sure Norman's FO stylesheet works with FOP right out of the
> box... last time I tried it didn't work, but it might well a very small
> thing.

I'll give it a try and see if we get crystals.

> Anyway, forget Jade and all that SGML tools. We are in a new world now
> :) Let's use it!

I will shed my 20th century mentality and be more clueful in future. :)

btw, I have studied mazzocchi.com and look forward to learning of Soil
Remediation at Apachecon in London.

Thanks again,
Pete Farmer

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

http://xml.apache.org/fop/

> Tedium and minutae:
> If we constrain the universe of desirable output formats to .pdf,
> .html, and .wml, I *may* be able to figure out how to get things working -
> ie Cocoon building its own docs.

a VRML view of the javadocs would be killer :)

[N.B. Cocoon will allow that just as easily, we just need to cleanup the
XML doclet and create a bunch of VRML stylesheets... but PDF and HTML
are out main targets for now]

> On first blush, the .pdf output is a challenge, since 'til now I've been
> generating .pdf from .dvi output, for which I currently depend on TeX.

FOP translates FO into PDF directly. Nothing non-java required.

> The
> .htm and .wml obviously present no problem, although I'm wondering if
> DocBook output isn't overkill in the .wml world presently? But hey, who am
> I to decide what content people want on their WAP devices? I don't make up
> the content... I just present it.

I think WML documentation might well be overkill. Let's forget about
that for now.

Posted by Pete Farmer <pe...@ubivis.org>.
> Pete Farmer wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 27 May 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > >
> > > I would love to have documentation written in DocBook, but I don't want
> > > to use tools from other projects to do this.... Cocoon should build its
> > > own documentation!
> >
> > Cool. In principal, I agree. This old dog may need to learn a few new
> > tricks to accomplish this, at the moment however. Btw, are you including
> > TeX in the 'tools from other projects' category? A "yes" here will
> > generate follow up questions)
>
> yes

Executive summary:
How can I make a .pdf file without using tools from other projects?

I'm drilling into the Xalan, Xerces, and Cocoon docs presently to try to
figure this out, but I'm grateful for any insight.

Tedium and minutae:
If we constrain the universe of desirable output formats to .pdf,
.html, and .wml, I *may* be able to figure out how to get things working -
ie Cocoon building its own docs.

On first blush, the .pdf output is a challenge, since 'til now I've been
generating .pdf from .dvi output, for which I currently depend on TeX. The

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Pete Farmer wrote:

> On Sat, 27 May 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > I would love to have documentation written in DocBook, but I don't want
> > to use tools from other projects to do this.... Cocoon should build its
> > own documentation!
>
> Cool. In principal, I agree. This old dog may need to learn a few new
> tricks to accomplish this, at the moment however. Btw, are you including
> TeX in the 'tools from other projects' category? A "yes" here will
> generate follow up questions)

yes

> > Why? well, Cocoon2 started as a merge between Stylebook and Cocoon1. Now
> > we have completely lost probably many of the patterns used in both these
> > projects, but this is good, we learned from past mistakes.
> >
> > Cocoon2 will soon have an Offline generator (in theory already does with
> > Paul's patches).
> >
> > I would love to have HTML, PDF and WML documentation created out docbook
> > documents and processed directly by Cocoon2.
>
> Yeah I'm +1 that, I'll focus on that ideal.
> >
> > I've already planned to do this (Norman Walsh is a lurker in this list
> > and already offered help in case we need to understand who to interpret
> > the docbook schema), but if you can give us a hand in porting the
> > documents to Docbook, that would be a _huge_ start.
>
> Really? _huge_? I'll get started right away!
>
> > What's WOL DP?
> Exactly.
> Sorry, that was a semi-snide referrence to an earlier thread. Hey, it was
> late Friday night, and I was feeling obnoxious. No harm intented.
>
> > And sorry, but why you keep saying "with images!", we
> > would support images in DocBook just as easily as anything else. I'm
> > missing your poitn.
> >
> Well, depending on your configuration, getting your documents to properly
> handle images can be problematic. For example, RedHat 6x and SuSE 6x both
> include DocBook, and a bunch of parsers and sgml tools, but neither handle
> images properly without some tweaking of the installation.

Hmmm, should tell you something.

> I can help with
> the tweaks. But since we'll be using *Cocoon* project stuff, some problems
> may disappear.

FOP recently introduced a pretty nice support for images inside PDF and
they are doing pretty nice stuff on that area.

> [sanctimonious open-source quote deleted]
>

> > No small at all. Docbook is painfully complex to start and having some
> > docs to use as example (I find learning by example much easier for
> > markup languages) would be a huge help.
> >
> Done. I'll start once I get back from the shops. (it's saturday morning,
> and the woman who does the cooking (Mrs Farmer) sets the agenda... and
> Cocoon stuff isn't on it, I fear.

Hey, don't worry, this is a volunteer effort. If you can help, you'll
have your name on the contributor list and you'll make many people very
happy. If you don't, no biggy: we'll welcome you around anyway ;-)

Posted by Pete Farmer <pe...@ubivis.org>.
On Sat, 27 May 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I would love to have documentation written in DocBook, but I don't want
> to use tools from other projects to do this.... Cocoon should build its
> own documentation!

Cool. In principal, I agree. This old dog may need to learn a few new
tricks to accomplish this, at the moment however. Btw, are you including
TeX in the 'tools from other projects' category? A "yes" here will
generate follow up questions)

> Why? well, Cocoon2 started as a merge between Stylebook and Cocoon1. Now
> we have completely lost probably many of the patterns used in both these
> projects, but this is good, we learned from past mistakes.
>
> Cocoon2 will soon have an Offline generator (in theory already does with
> Paul's patches).
>
> I would love to have HTML, PDF and WML documentation created out docbook
> documents and processed directly by Cocoon2.

Yeah I'm +1 that, I'll focus on that ideal.

> I've already planned to do this (Norman Walsh is a lurker in this list
> and already offered help in case we need to understand who to interpret
> the docbook schema), but if you can give us a hand in porting the
> documents to Docbook, that would be a _huge_ start.

Really? _huge_? I'll get started right away!

> What's WOL DP?
Exactly.
Sorry, that was a semi-snide referrence to an earlier thread. Hey, it was
late Friday night, and I was feeling obnoxious. No harm intented.

> And sorry, but why you keep saying "with images!", we
> would support images in DocBook just as easily as anything else. I'm
> missing your poitn.

Well, depending on your configuration, getting your documents to properly
handle images can be problematic. For example, RedHat 6x and SuSE 6x both
include DocBook, and a bunch of parsers and sgml tools, but neither handle
images properly without some tweaking of the installation. I can help with

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Pete Farmer wrote:

> Thus spake David Wagner:
>
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wished
> > >
> > > I wish I had a pool of writers :( but we don't.
> > >
> > I've been wading in your pool for a few days, and this seems a good time to
> [deletion happens]
>
> Longtime lurker, first time poster, Pete Farmer writes:
>
> I have been lurking on these Cocoon lists for a while now, and am
> embarrassed to say that I am an excellent example of someone who has
> received maximum benefit from this project, while contributing the
> minimum - zero.

No. Like Ricardo recently said to me, "no feedback it's itself
feedback".

> Meanwhile, our whole Cocoon subsystem is just bitchen', thanks!
>
> Like all small startups, our little venture is severely resource
> constrained. However we would like to contribute something, and maybe this
> is our chance.
>
> I have no idea if this is a Cocoon documentation goal, (or not), but the
> last Cocoon docs I saw were not in DocBook. If this is no longer the case,
> please stop reading now... since, if you're on the Cocoon mailing list
> you're busy enough already!
>
> If not, as many of you know, LDP has begun using DocBook, as has the GDP
> (Gnome), and if you like the look of Brett McLaughlin's work at
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javaxml/chapter/ch09.html, there's another
> good reason to consider it.
>
> If the Cocoon group is interested in going this way too, and could
> use some DocBook *expertise, (setup can be a minor hassle) I would be
> happy to get things set up, do a first pass at the markup and generally
> provide support in this area. The new Gnome DTDs now support .png images,
> btw.
> *expertise is a bit of a stretch, but I've recently set up DocBook on a
> few different organic linucies, so I'm pretty confident I can get it going
> on yours, and perhaps offer advise on various editing software (text and
> image), set up a Makefile, use CVS, or whatever may be of use, since not
> all tech writers are familiar with these tools.

I would love to have documentation written in DocBook, but I don't want
to use tools from other projects to do this.... Cocoon should build its
own documentation!

Why? well, Cocoon2 started as a merge between Stylebook and Cocoon1. Now
we have completely lost probably many of the patterns used in both these
projects, but this is good, we learned from past mistakes.

Cocoon2 will soon have an Offline generator (in theory already does with
Paul's patches).

I would love to have HTML, PDF and WML documentation created out docbook
documents and processed directly by Cocoon2.

I've already planned to do this (Norman Walsh is a lurker in this list
and already offered help in case we need to understand who to interpret
the docbook schema), but if you can give us a hand in porting the
documents to Docbook, that would be a _huge_ start.

> If this is of interest to anyone, please lemme know. Otherwise, thanks for
> all the great work done so far, and we'll continue looking for an area
> where we can help.

Yes, there is insterest.

> This is in no way intended as an endorsement for DocBook, Gnome, O'Reilly
> or any other entity I may have mentioned. I have no affiliation with any
> of these organizations mentioned. This is strictly an offer to assist
> anyone wanting to get DocBook working (properly, with images!) on the
> Cocoon project. ...sorry, I don't have time to focus on WOL DP just at
> the moment, before anyone asks... ;-)

What's WOL DP? And sorry, but why you keep saying "with images!", we