Posted to dev@toree.apache.org by Chip Senkbeil <ch...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/10 22:15:39 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Toree 0.1.0 RC4

Please vote to approve the release of the following candidate as Apache
Toree version 0.1.0. Pay special attention to the LICENSE and NOTICE files
since this is our first release.

## Information and Artifacts

The tag to be voted on is v0.1.0-rc4
(1d526954ecaba1d5dc0f40ec555dd598b2b11df7), located here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-toree/commit/1d526954ecaba1d5dc0f40ec555dd598b2b11df7

All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found
at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/toree/0.1.0/rc4/

Staging artifacts can be found at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetoree-1002/

## Testing Instructions

The fastest way to get up and running is to using Jupyter.

1. Install Jupyter if you haven't already (http://jupyter.org/install.html)

2. Grab the Apache Toree archive from
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/toree/0.1.0/rc4/toree-pip/apache-toree-0.1.0.tar.gz

3. Install Apache Toree via `pip install apache-toree-0.1.0.tar.gz`
followed by `jupyter toree install`

    - You need to set a valid Spark home, which can be done via `jupyter
toree install --spark_home=/usr/local/spark`

    - You may need to run with `sudo` for installation permission

    - For all installation options, run `jupyter toree install --help-all`

4. Run a Jupyter notebook server via `jupyter notebook`

    - If the notebook portion of Jupyter is not installed but Jupyter is,
you can install via `pip install notebook`

5. Create a notebook using "Apache Toree - Scala" from the dropdown under
new

    - If you want other interpreter profiles than Scala, you can change the
interpreters via `jupyter toree install --interpreters=PySpark,SQL`

6. Run Scala/Spark commands such as `sc.parallelize(1 to 100).sum()` in the
notebook

## Voting Instructions

The vote is open for at least 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least
3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Toree 0.1.0

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.1.0 RC4

Posted by Chip Senkbeil <ch...@gmail.com>.
Forgot to mention that the required Apache Spark version to use with Toree
for the 0.1.x branch is Apache Spark 1.6.x.

I've tested the release artifacts myself using the provided testing method
and everything checks out. Have run Rat against the artifacts and they look
good.

So, going to give it a +1.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Toree 0.1.0 RC4

Posted by Corey Stubbs <ca...@gmail.com>.