Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ma...@jpmchase.com on 2008/06/02 19:06:00 UTC

[users@httpd] "The service on Local Computer started and stopped"

This is the error message I receive when I try to start either version 20.
or 2.2 of HTTP server (as a service) on my WinXP SP2 workstation.  I have
tried to uninstall/reinstall several times with no success.  I am using the
'no_ssl' version.

In searching around I found one possible solution is to uncheck the "Enable
LMHOSTS lookup" box under network properties.  This box was already
unchecked.

The only 2 log entries in the system log are...

The <Apache version> service was successfully sent a start control.
The <Apache version> service entered the stopped state.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Marc Scott

and affiliates.

copy format. Thank you.

disclosures relating to UK legal entities.

Re: [users@httpd] "The service on Local Computer started and stopped"

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

marc.scott@jpmchase.com wrote:
> I have 1G real and 1.5G virtual RAM.
>
> I commented out all the modules except for the 'modules/mod_authz_host.so'
> module (as that is apparently required for other code in the file to run).
>
> The problem remains.

Allright.
If an Apache/Windows guru would like to step in, this seems to be the
right moment.

In the meantime, let me suggest this, assuming you're desperate :
- put back all the modules you initially had
- add a new one (which you did not have initially, and which you don't
really need) at the end of the list
- restart Apache in the command console mode

Does it get to the message loading this new module ?

(by the way, when you run in console mode, it really means "in the
console", and it does not then run as a service.  So you will not find
the entries about starting the Apache service in the System log.)

As a possible next step, this is what I just did :
- start the Task Manager, display running processes sorted
alphabetically, resize Window to a manageable size.
At this point, there is no process called "httpd.exe".
- open a command window, move it so it is visible next to the Task
Manager, and go to the top Apache dir
- in the command window, enter "bin\httpd -e debug" (like before)

When I do that, the following happens :
- initially, while displaying the messages about the modules being
loaded, one single "httpd.exe" appears in the Task Manager
- when the loading of the modules is finished, it takes a fraction of a
second, then a second httpd.exe process appears below the first one.
That is when on my Windows XP station, the server is ready to receive
requests (and processes them fine).
I assume that the second process is the one containing the "threads"
which under Windows replace the "Apache children" which process requests
(as opposed to the main process which dispatches the requests to
children and starts/stops children).

Now check if in your case this second process ever appears.

I attach an Apache "error.log" file which shows what was generated right
now on my Windows XP SP2 laptop when I ran a session just like above in
the console.
I waited a few seconds after the server was running (2 httpd processes),
then stopped Apache in the console via CTRL-C.
Maybe by comparison with what you have, the logfile tells you something
more.

A couple of comments on the error.log :
1) The first lines show the "module load" messages sent by the parent
httpd process as it configures itself.
2) Then, when it has finished, the parent creates a child process, which
re-starts from the beginning and reconfigures itself.  This is normal,
and is just the way Apache works.  That is when the Task Manager should
show the second httpd process running.
At the end of that, the message
Child 3628: Starting thread to listen on port 80.
says that Apache (the child) is now up and running and listening for
requests.
3) Then about 10 seconds later, I entered a CTRL-C in the command
window, and Apache starts to wind down.

(1) is what you see in the console window
(2) unfortunately does not appear in the console window, because it is a
separate process not connected to this console
(3) the CTRL-C is given to the parent, which tells the child (in the
background) to exit. But again you won't see that in the console.  All
you will ever see is the prompt when Apache finally stops.

Re: [users@httpd] "The service on Local Computer started and stopped"

Posted by ma...@jpmchase.com.
I have 1G real and 1.5G virtual RAM.

I commented out all the modules except for the 'modules/mod_authz_host.so'
module (as that is apparently required for other code in the file to run).

The problem remains.

Marc

             André Warnier
             <aw...@ice-sa.com>
             06/03/2008 11:28          users@httpd.apache.org

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: [users@httpd] "The <apache
             users@httpd.apach         version> service on Local Computer
                   e.org               started and stopped"

marc.scott@jpmchase.com wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions Andre, but it's still a no-go.  It loaded 20
> modules, the last of which was setenvif_module, but then returned a
system
> prompt.  No errors or anything.  I attempted to view the default Apache
> page (to see if the service was up), as well as looked in the service
> viewer, and nothing.
>
> And I am a local admin on my machine, so that shouldn't have effected the
> netstat output.
>
> Any other suggestions?

I'm not a real Apache guru, I just work here.
This being said, it sounds like it stops dead in it's tracks, but after
would stop just at the moment when the main startup instance tries to
"fork" (or under Windows probably start threads) to start handling
requests.
Maybe you could try removing some of the modules, starting at the end
(mod_setenvif) ?
By the way, is that the last module mentioned to be loaded in your
configuration ?

And also, how much memory do you have on that station (real and virtual) ?

André

P.S.
I am loading the following (496 MB RAM, virtual set to 2048 MB):
LoadModule actions_module modules/mod_actions.so
LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule asis_module modules/mod_asis.so
LoadModule auth_basic_module modules/mod_auth_basic.so
LoadModule auth_digest_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
#LoadModule authn_anon_module modules/mod_authn_anon.so
#LoadModule authn_dbm_module modules/mod_authn_dbm.so
LoadModule authn_default_module modules/mod_authn_default.so
LoadModule authn_file_module modules/mod_authn_file.so
#LoadModule authz_dbm_module modules/mod_authz_dbm.so
LoadModule authz_default_module modules/mod_authz_default.so
LoadModule authz_groupfile_module modules/mod_authz_groupfile.so
LoadModule authz_host_module modules/mod_authz_host.so
LoadModule authz_user_module modules/mod_authz_user.so
LoadModule autoindex_module modules/mod_autoindex.so
#LoadModule cern_meta_module modules/mod_cern_meta.so
LoadModule cgi_module modules/mod_cgi.so
LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
#LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
LoadModule dir_module modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule env_module modules/mod_env.so
#LoadModule expires_module modules/mod_expires.so
#LoadModule file_cache_module modules/mod_file_cache.so
#LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
LoadModule imagemap_module modules/mod_imagemap.so
LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so
#LoadModule info_module modules/mod_info.so
LoadModule isapi_module modules/mod_isapi.so
LoadModule log_config_module modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
#LoadModule mime_magic_module modules/mod_mime_magic.so
#LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
#LoadModule proxy_ajp_module modules/mod_proxy_ajp.so
#LoadModule proxy_balancer_module modules/mod_proxy_balancer.so
#LoadModule proxy_connect_module modules/mod_proxy_connect.so
#LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
#LoadModule proxy_ftp_module modules/mod_proxy_ftp.so
LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so
#LoadModule speling_module modules/mod_speling.so
#LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
#LoadModule unique_id_module modules/mod_unique_id.so
LoadModule userdir_module modules/mod_userdir.so
#LoadModule usertrack_module modules/mod_usertrack.so
#LoadModule vhost_alias_module modules/mod_vhost_alias.so
#LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so
#LoadModule php5_module "c:/php/php5apache2.dll"
# Load libapreq2 for Apache2::Request etc..
#LoadFile "C:/Apache2/bin/libapreq2.dll"
#LoadModule apreq_module modules/mod_apreq2.so

and affiliates.

copy format. Thank you.

disclosures relating to UK legal entities.

Re: [users@httpd] "The service on Local Computer started and stopped"

Posted by ma...@jpmchase.com.
found my problem.  Unknown to me (as this is a work computer) I had
Aventail installed on my machine.  I saw this error can sometimes occur
with Aventail installed.  When I tried to uninstall it, I had all kinds of
issues.  After I had my machine reimaged by our support staff (without the
addition of Aventail), I was able to get Apache working.  Thanks for the
help!

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

             06/02/2008 06:15          users@httpd.apache.org

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: [users@httpd] "The <apache
             users@httpd.apach         version> service on Local Computer
                   e.org               started and stopped"

marc.scott@jpmchase.com wrote:
>>  Check the Application Event Log.
>
> No entries are made in the application log when I attempt to start the
> service.
>
> Marc Scott

Hi.

I am running Apache2 on several Windows XP SP2 stations, usually as a
service, under various Windows national versions, and have no problem.

Maybe try to run it from the command-line ?
cd to the top Apache directory, and enter :
bin\httpd -e debug

When i do that, it starts in the command window, not as a service,
display a few messages about what it's loading (see below), then it
stops displaying messages and just works (as a webserver I mean). I
don't get startup errors of course, but maybe you'll see something in
the window telling you why it doesn't start properly.
End with CTRL-C.

Maybe something else : under Unix, to be able to open a listening port
below 1024, one needs root privileges.  Possibly under Windows, one
needs Administrator or LocalSystem privileges.  When opening your
command window, better be logged in as a local administrator.

André

Sample output :
C:\Apache2>bin\httpd -e debug
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
actions_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
alias_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module asis_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
auth_basic_modul
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
auth_digest_modu
le
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
authn_default_mo
dule
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
authn_file_modul
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
authz_default_mo
dule
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
authz_groupfile_
module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
authz_host_modul
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
authz_user_modul
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
autoindex_module

[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module cgi_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module dav_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
dav_fs_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module dir_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module env_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
imagemap_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
include_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
isapi_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
log_config_modul
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module mime_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
negotiation_modu
le
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
rewrite_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
setenvif_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
userdir_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module jk_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(328): loaded file
C:/Perl/bin/perl58
..dll
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module perl_module

(now running, CTRL-C stops it)

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

marc.scott@jpmchase.com wrote:
>>  Check the Application Event Log.
>
> No entries are made in the application log when I attempt to start the
> service.
>
> Marc Scott

Hi.

I am running Apache2 on several Windows XP SP2 stations, usually as a
service, under various Windows national versions, and have no problem.

Maybe try to run it from the command-line ?
cd to the top Apache directory, and enter :
bin\httpd -e debug

When i do that, it starts in the command window, not as a service,
display a few messages about what it's loading (see below), then it
stops displaying messages and just works (as a webserver I mean). I
don't get startup errors of course, but maybe you'll see something in
the window telling you why it doesn't start properly.
End with CTRL-C.

Maybe something else : under Unix, to be able to open a listening port
below 1024, one needs root privileges.  Possibly under Windows, one
needs Administrator or LocalSystem privileges.  When opening your
command window, better be logged in as a local administrator.

André

Sample output :
C:\Apache2>bin\httpd -e debug
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module
actions_module
[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module alias_module
[...]

[Tue Jun 03 00:02:34 2008] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module isapi_module
[...]

and I forgot to mention that I did run netstat just to make sure nothing
was listening on port 80.  nothing is.

Marc

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.