Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Ames <gr...@raleigh.ibm.com> on 2001/01/29 21:28:42 UTC

[Beta blocker] Can't open config file on apache.org

bash-2.04$ bin/httpd conf/httpd.conf.8092
Processing config directory: /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf
httpd: could not open config directory
/usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf: Not a directory
bash-2.04$ ls -l conf/httpd.conf.8092
-rw-r--r--  1 gregames  wheel  27552 Jan 26 20:24 conf/httpd.conf.8092

any hints? is stat broken? APR_FINFO?  seems to be a BSD-ism - linux is
happy at the moment.

Greg

Re: [Beta blocker] Can't open config file on apache.org

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Looks like you slipped past the test for is_directory and on into the
recursive directory contents processor.  How are we not getting a good APR_DIR
result?  I think that's the question.

Bill

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> writes:

> [...]

I guess you mean that I wasn't clear?  I thought we were talking about
the same line of code and that there was no ambiguity.  Sorry...

Here is the portion of your patch (what I thought we both called the
"optimization") which broke it.

-    if (ap_is_rdirectory(ptemp, fname)) {
+    if (finfo.filetype == APR_DIR) {

Greg and I discussed various ways to do the lstat only once, but the
point I tried to make before was that the code was always clearer if
we just called ap_is_rdirectory() again here.  We don't need to worry
about saving an lstat() in this function.

>                                       Yes - backing out for today is the
> right approach.  It is the wrong answer once I tie down what was
> going on.

Is there any question in your mind that prior to Greg's commit we
checked finfo.filetype in cases where we didn't call apr_lstat()?

> I will toss up the patch to be tested before I 'turn it back on'
> again.

Coolness, just don't worry about saving an lstat() here at the expense
of making the code hairier.

Take care...
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> writes:

> filetype, perhaps?  I optimized out the ap_is_rdirectory() stuff, so we are
> asking the stat/dir_read to tell us the file type in one swell
> fwoop.

That is what broke it.  We only call apr_lstat() in certain
circumstances, so we can't rely on the finfo field, which sometimes
has accidental data.

I agree with Greg Ames' off-line suggestion to back out the
optimization, since among the various ways to fix it that way results
in the simplest code.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

> bash-2.04$ bin/httpd conf/httpd.conf.8092
> Processing config directory: /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf
> httpd: could not open config directory
> /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf: Not a directory
> bash-2.04$ ls -l conf/httpd.conf.8092
> -rw-r--r--  1 gregames  wheel  27552 Jan 26 20:24 conf/httpd.conf.8092
>
> any hints? is stat broken? APR_FINFO?  seems to be a BSD-ism - linux is
> happy at the moment.

Quite probably, look at util.c and even throw a breakpoint ... I'm guessing
we are asking for 'something more', when we possibly didn't need to.