Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Richard Heintze <si...@yahoo.com> on 2003/03/01 17:56:42 UTC

Re: Can't connect to ppm-ia.ActiveState.com:80

The mod_perl installation works fine on my home
machine. (I' have not actually tried it yet, but I
don't get errors about contacting
http://theoryx5.uwinopeg....

The office machine can browse the internet but still
gives me errors when running "perl mpinstall".

The office machine connects to the internet via a
proxy server -- perhaps that is the problem. Is there
a way for mpinstall to accommodate a proxy server?

How can I manually fetch the files that mpinstall is
trying to get and install locally?
   Thanks,
         Siegfried

http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/cgi-bin/ppmserver?urn:/PPMServer58

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Re: Can't connect to ppm-ia.ActiveState.com:80

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Richard Heintze wrote:

> The mod_perl installation works fine on my home
> machine. (I' have not actually tried it yet, but I
> don't get errors about contacting
> http://theoryx5.uwinopeg....
>
> The office machine can browse the internet but still
> gives me errors when running "perl mpinstall".
>
> The office machine connects to the internet via a
> proxy server -- perhaps that is the problem. Is there
> a way for mpinstall to accommodate a proxy server?
>
> How can I manually fetch the files that mpinstall is
> trying to get and install locally?
>    Thanks,
>          Siegfried

The mpinstall script uses the getstore() routine of LWP::Simple,
so if you have to do something special to get getstore() to
work with your settings, you'd have to do the same thing for
the mpinstall script.

To install things manually,
- get mod_perl.ppd from http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/
- get mod_perl.tar.gz from http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/x86/
  and place it in the same directory as mod_perl.ppd
- get mod_perl.so from http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/scripts/
  and copy it to your Apache2 modules directory (eg, C:\Apache2\modules)
- edit the HREF attribute of the CODEBASE tag in mod_perl.ppd
  to just read HREF="mod_perl.tar.gz"
- run, from the directory where you saved mod_perl.ppd,
    C:\> ppm install mod_perl.ppd

This is all for ActivePerl build 8xx and Apache 2 / mod_perl 2.

--
best regards,
randy