Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Pablo Duboue <pa...@keatext.com> on 2012/12/13 20:15:32 UTC

TextMarker types, JCasGenPomFriendly and Maven

Hi,

Just a comment, if you use the uimaFIT JCasGenPomFriendly in Maven and
want to use TextMarker as a standalone annotator you'll need to exclude
the generated TextMarker basic type files from the build by adding
something like this to your pom.xml plugins:

            <plugin>
             <version>3.0</version>
             <configuration>
                 <source>1.6</source>
                 <target>1.6</target>
                  <excludes>

<exclude>org/apache/uima/textmarker/type/*.java</exclude>
                  </excludes>
             </configuration>
            </plugin>

I don't know if this is actually a bug in the way JCasGenPomFriendly is
being called and it should pick up the existence of the
org.apache.uima.textmarker.type JCas types or this is the preferred way
to do it. The important aspect is that TextMarker has JCas types
augmented with extra methods. Using regenerated types won't do (you'll
get a cryptic error message java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.uima.textmarker.type.TextMarkerBasic.setLowMemoryProfile(Z)V).

Mr. Klügl, if this is not in the documentation for TextMarker somewhere
you might want to add it. (And thanks for making such a great tool
available!)

Best regards,

P.

Re: uimafit maven plugin

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 14.12.2012 12:56, schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> Am 14.12.2012 um 12:16 schrieb Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>:
>
>> After uimaFIT has arrived at Apache UIMA, I will also take care that TextMarker will work together with uimaFIT more smoothly.
> Peter, I am considering to set up a uimafit maven plugin to allow generating XML descriptors from uimafit-annotated classes. Is that something you would be interested in?
>
> -- Richard

Of course :-)

There are many things that make the usage of TextMarker for uimaFIT user
easier. The engine should probably be adapted and isn't there also a
maven plugin for jcasgen?

I haven't used uimaFIT for some time and do have an overview of all
concepts. One of my colleagues now uses TextMarker together with uimaFIT
and encourages this topic a bit more. However, I try to concentrate for
now on a TextMarker release candiate since it is annoying to use
TextMarker without an official downloadable version.

Peter

Re: uimafit maven plugin

Posted by Erik Fäßler <er...@uni-jena.de>.
If I may hook in here - I would consider such a plugin as quite beneficial and have sought this functionality myself already. I would absolutely vote for it since it would make working with Uimafit more seamlessly and hence more attractive. I just built some new components but did not make them Uimafit-compatible because I use the components in a normal Uima environment and as such needed to create the descriptors anyway. With such a plugin I would gladly write everything according to Uimafit and then just generate the descriptors automatically using the plugin.

Regards,

Erik

Sent from my iPhone

uimafit maven plugin

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.

Re: TextMarker types, JCasGenPomFriendly and Maven

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi,

thanks for the pointer. I will attend this problem.

I already prepared information about building TextMarker, but I am still
thinking about the best location to publish it.
After uimaFIT has arrived at Apache UIMA, I will also take care that
TextMarker will work together with uimaFIT more smoothly.

Best,

Peter