Posted to dev@abdera.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2007/03/24 20:02:33 UTC

i18n code build system

So, if the i18n code is going to be separate from the rest of Abdera
(i.e. we're planning on moving it out of the tree eventually) would it
be possible to extract its build logic from build/build.xml?  I was
thinking of updating my work-in-progress ivy patch today, but I don't
want to totally duplicate the current logic to build the i18n stuff.
It seems like we could just put a stupidly-simple build.xml in
dependencies/i18n, and since we are trying to make that code
independent it's going to need that eventually anyway...

-garrett

Re: i18n code build system

Posted by Adam Constabaris <ad...@clownsinmycoffee.net>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 3/27/07, Adam Constabaris <ad...@clownsinmycoffee.net> wrote:
>> James M Snell wrote:
>> > Heh... no patch attached :-)
>> >

>> It's not been the best week ... I spent the last ten minutes setting up
>> thunderbird (so long Mail.App).
>>
>> fingers crossed!
>
> I committed this with tweaks in r531309, although I can't test the
> entire maven build because the json stuff is totally failing to build
> for me (complaining about duplicated classes or some such nonsense).
>
> -garrett
cheers!

The "duplicate classes" errors, I think, are an artifact of build
history; the ant build unpacks the json sources to:

dependencies/json/src/main/java

while maven unpacks them to:

dependencies/json/target/generated-sources/main/java

Both locations are on the build path when maven executes its "compile"
target, so you get the duplicate class errors if you've already built
json with ant. You can remove the files generated by ant, which aren't
in SVN, and it should compile with maven.

If switching back and forth between ant and maven is desirable, I don't
think it's too much work to harmonize the build processes in this
particular instance, but that sets a bad precedent.  Are there strong
objections to dropping one of the build tools?

[ OTOH, if this really is a one-off sort of problem, another option
would be to see if the json.org folks -- or designated agents thereof --
can be persuaded to put their Apache-licenced binaries jars into the
maven repositories, or switch to a json library that is in the maven
repositories (json-lib, which is Apache licensed, but about which I know
little else) ]

AC

Re: i18n code build system

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: i18n code build system

Posted by Adam Constabaris <ad...@clownsinmycoffee.net>.

Re: i18n code build system

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Heh... no patch attached :-)

Re: i18n code build system

Posted by Adam Constabaris <ad...@clownsinmycoffee.net>.

Re: i18n code build system

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: i18n code build system

Posted by Adam Constabaris <ad...@clownsinmycoffee.net>.
Argh ... hopefully, here are the two files that didn't make it
through the first time ...

sheepishly,

AC

Re: i18n code build system

Posted by Adam Constabaris <ad...@clownsinmycoffee.net>.
On 26-Mar-07, at 12:46 AM, James M Snell wrote:

> Excellent.  Feel free to post the patch here or in jira and I'll
> get it
> applied.
>
> - James

My patch-fu being weak (darned if I can figure out how to create a
complete patchset with svn diff in a timely fashion), I've
attached the following:

1. i18n.patch (root and core poms)
2. build.xml (dependencies/i18n/build.xml)
3. build.properties (dependencies/i18n/build.properties)
4. pom.xml (dependencies/i18n/pom.xml)

The way I approached it, it would probably make slightly more sense
to move the i18n directory up to be a submodule, so it could take
better advantage of maven inheritance.  Also, a warning: I changed
the version to 0.3.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT, which is what both the new
POM and new build.xml create.  There's no change to the master
build.xml, so the new build.xml is not invoked unless it's done
manually.   I hope it's still useful =)

(additional conditional apologies in advance, since I'm using
Mail.App attachments for the first time)

cheers,

AC

Re: i18n code build system

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.