Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> on 2009/04/16 23:29:14 UTC

lack of admin user during install

I just did a *seed* install, and did *not* get an admin user.  This is
due to the admin accounts only being created from
applications/securityext/data/*Demo*.  Is this really what is intended?

If so, then ofbiz is not usable with just a seed install, and I
consider that a fail.  You can't even log in to any of the backends.

Having to install all of the demo data, just to get the admin
account(s), seems rather wrong to me.

Re: lack of admin user during install

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
FYI I am working on the migrations of the security screens right now.

Jacopo

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Apr 17, 2009, at 5:24 PM, Adam Heath wrote:

> Are you saying that you can do stuff, with only a UserLogin record
> existing, but no Party record?

Yes, you shouldn't need a party to perform the admin tasks like
managing users and in general all the tools available in webtools.

Jacopo

Re: lack of admin user during install

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On Apr 16, 2009, at 11:43 PM, Adam Heath wrote:
>
>> David E Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> You must have missed quite a few messages to not have seen the
>>> discussion around this...
>>>
>>> The short answer is to look at the build.xml file, there is a target
>>> there for creating your own admin user (thanks to Jacopo for this!).
>>
>> Ok, see the ant targets.  I won't do it that way for debian, I'll use
>> debconf, which is much nicer.
>>

> This may help:
>
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/aQM
>
>> Actually, no, those ant targets fail.  I said there is no admin
>> *Party*.  The ant targets just create UserLogin and
>> UserLoginSecurityGroup, but do *not* create the Party.
>
> The ant targets should work fine but yes, they don't create a party
> record, which is not available in a framework only setup and should not
> required by the applications.
> However, due to a bad ui design it is not possible (unless you use the
> webtools) to create users/permissions/parties just using an
> "administrator" login:
> I know Adrian was working in the migration of the "security" screens to
> the webtools application, after this is done it will be possible to use
> the administrator login to create parties/security records etc...
>
> The best solution right now is to use the webtools to add a Party record
> associated to the user.

I have all of framework, applications, and specialpurpose installed.
I ran a seed install, not a demo install.  There is no Party record
for admin, ltdadmin, system; it seems wrong that no parties at all are
created with only a seed install.

Is the proper course of action, when setting ofbiz up in a production
state, to do a seed install, then have any per-company component that
sets up the needed extra accounts/entities?  I'm just trying to get
caught up here.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adam,

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
You must have missed quite a few messages to not have seen the
discussion around this...

The short answer is to look at the build.xml file, there is a target
there for creating your own admin user (thanks to Jacopo for this!).

-David