Posted to wave-dev@incubator.apache.org by Price Clark <gp...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/01 16:40:05 UTC

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Pablo, thanks for the presentation.

While my qualifications to answer this are 0  getting to listen to
Upayavira talk this week (the last Apache mentor if I'm not mistaken) make
me feel the answers to 1 and 2 are easy to answer.

1.) Upayavira communicated very fervently that there just isn't enough
oomph in wave's development. Every year around the time that the retirement
conversation is brought up, activity similar to this starts brewing and
then it all dies down in a few months. From this perspective "Does SwellRT
tackle current Wave problems?" The answer is unequivocally yes, SwellRT is
a more actively maintained fork of Wave and given the slowing/slowed pace
of Wave *a merge with SwellRT is likely the only way to save this project*.

2.) I would also like to bring up another point Upayavira made,
"Communities are built around good ideas and bad code." Running with that I
thing that good ideas attract tinkerers and 'people with ideas' that could
eventually become 'contributors with ideas'. In some senses SwellRT
splinters Apache Wave in a way that developers on this mailing list have
been alluding to for a while. The client side code is not well understood
and is definitely in the way of the server. SwellRT has a more general goal
of supplying a server that is capable of powering a front-end like the
original vision of google wave. This means that merging with SwellRT would
force a separation of the client and server and allow for people with
interests in either a front or back end to work in tandem. This seems like
an ingenious way to attract more people; anyone with an interest in the
backend technology OR a way to use said technology in an application could
be a potential contributor. Unless I'm mistaken it seems like SwellRT
offers a set of features that could be classified as a superset of Wave's
features. So, it seems like most or all of SwellRT would be at home in
Wave. Pablo also reasonably stated that he'd prefer to work in one project.

As for me, as soon as a direction is clear I would love to talk to
someone actively maintaining/writing code so I can help them contribute to
whichever code survives in whatever way possible.

Re: Invite to the github project for Wave...

Posted by Adam John <aj...@sterlingsolved.com>.
Had to rename the project due to naming rights.

The preferred one to join might be:
https://github.com/P2Pvalue/swellrt

Adam John
(914) 623-8433

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Posted by Pablo Ojanguren <pa...@gmail.com>.
Following up Upayavira,  I will be very glad to help anyone wanting to
start with SwellRT's source code. In this regard I suggest...

a) invite you all to *join our Gitter chat *(
https://gitter.im/P2Pvalue/swellrt) to reach me out and other SwellRT
contributors, and ask directly doubts, just chat about what can be done, or
just know us better. Please consider timezone, we are based on Spain
(GMT+2) ;)

b) encourage you to *share here your desires* about what would you like to
do in order to discover shared interests (for example, lately I am thinking
about to reimplement Wave server using Akka framework (http://akka.io/),
 to complete the Android client and to manage wave's snapshots instead of
deltas when waves are loaded)

Also someone would prefer to code UI, in that case checkout the
SwellRT-based text editor built with Angular2:
https://github.com/P2Pvalue/swellrt-pad / http://jetpad-int.devialab.rocks/

c) to schedule *video calls to explain tech details* about SwellRT and also
I will be happy to explain any original Wave's code part I know.

Thomas:
I think the simplest idea is SwellRT become main branch and to add recent
Wave's work if it is necessary.
Of course, any documentation and resources would be given to Wave too.

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Posted by Michael MacFadden <mi...@gmail.com>.
Upayavira,

+1

We have a lot of folks (myself included) who are very interested in wave, but aren’t actively developing.  We need to show the SwellRT folks that we have something to offer from a contribution standpoint (e.g. coding, design, documentation, etc.). If we can bring them some extra oomph, and the legal structure of apache is also appealing to them, then and only then does it make sense to move.  To that end, I might encourage the SwellRT team to start trying out some apache like behaviors.  E.g. using a mailing list for decision making and voting, etc. to see how they like it.

Thoughts?

~Michael

On 10/10/16, 4:14 PM, "Upayavira" <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

    I'm suggesting that before we go to the proposal phase, people just
    start participating in SwellRT. Just do it. Let's see what you can all
    accomplish over there - let SwellRT see what they have to gain, and let
    Apache see how more vibrant and active SwellRT is as a community. Then
    it will be a no-brainer for Apache to accept SwellRT.

    Upayavira

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Posted by Adam John <aj...@sterlingsolved.com>.

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
My concern is not for Wave, it is for SwellRT. The last thing I'd want
is them (I don't know how many of them there are) to move over to
Apache, only to find out that the match with Apache isn't sufficient,
and Wave closes down anyway. I want to be sure we can avoid that
eventuality, and the best way I can see to accomplish that, assuming
Pablo is okay with it, is for anyone interested in SwellRT development
moving to Apache, is to go and join the SwellRT community. Go start
contributing to the code where it is now. Then we can form a realistic
view of what we are going to bring into Apache before we do it.

Upayavira

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Posted by Thomas Wrobel <da...@gmail.com>.
I am sorry I didn't make the meeting, glade to see it was productive.
However, I am curious though why there is questions still as to if
SwellRT should be merged with wave.

Wave development at apache is nearly dead.
Doing nothing and it will have to retire. No one has proposed a 3rd
option that I am aware of.
So in terms of community engagement, not seeing a downside.

If theres technical downsides, thats another mater. But not aware
anyones raised any yet.
From what I have seen possibly my only concern is the API to

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Posted by Pablo Ojanguren <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Posted by Adam John <aj...@sterlingsolved.com>.
Pablo, a lot of great information in this slide deck.  I hope others have a

Re: SwellRT tech overview

Posted by Pablo Ojanguren <pa...@gmail.com>.