Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by MVS Bhargav <mb...@visualsoft-tech.com> on 2002/07/03 09:21:15 UTC

JSP Issue and I need a Solution from Tomcat end

Dear All,

I have a problem and want to know if there is any solution from the Tomcat
that I can do to handle the issue.

Environment Explanation:
----------------------------------
I have a web application built in (JSP, HTML, JavaScript, Beans) on the
Tomcat 3.2.2 version for Linux environment. My Client wants to install it in
his Intranet (running on Solaris / Tomcat / Apache / Servlets) and wants to
use my application as an inbuilt service to his Intranet users. He doesn't
want to give me a separate URL when any user clicks on my application link,
rather wants to add my URL to the existing Intranet URL. He wants to use the
Intranet as a single sign on Gateway for authenticating any user logging on.
He will pass the user information to my application through a passport
generated when any user logs on.

ISSUE:
----------------------------------
The URL that is generated when the User clicks on my application link in the
Intranet is as follows:

http: //<www.sitename.com>/<foldername>/<folder
name>/%UserCode%20%CorporationCode%20%VersionCode....(etc)/<Application
Server Name>/<Application Name>/Login.jsp

This contains the path to my application from the Intranet and all the user
details I need to feed into my login page method in the Bean. When we are
logging a user, we check for some permissions and then allow him to goto the
home page accordingly. This redirecting is done through JavaScript.

Example:
----------------------------------
If <Condition = Pass> then
	Location.href="Main.jsp"
Else
	Location.href="Main1.jsp"
End If

During this process of redirection, my client says that.. the new URL formed
is now in the following format:

http: //<www.sitename.com>/<foldername>/<Application Server
Name>/<Application Name>/Main.jsp

A 404 Error is generated in the Browser, since the URL has changed, missing
some parameters.

Client Suggestion:
----------------------------------
For this a suggestion he gave is to remove all the JavaScript redirects and
put them as JSP submits. I have 800 pages in my application and almost all
the pages have this type of redirections due to high coupling between
modules and user permissions to each page.

My Request to you all:
----------------------------------
Making changes in all the pages leads me to a long procedure of changing,
testing and so on.
Instead, I want to know, whether Tomcat has any facility that can enable me
to capture and store the URL sent from the Intranet Server and concatenate
the same to the newly formed URL in my JSP pages, every time a request is
posted to the JAVA Engine. This should not again make me change the code in
every page. In simple words is there any global solution for the whole
application rather than a complete change.

Please reply me ASAP since my client is waiting for my response.

Regards,
Bhargav.
___________________

MVS. Bhargav.