Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by modemide <mo...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/21 19:30:33 UTC

Running JobTracker on a separate machine

Hello all,
I was wondering if someone could help me with this issue.
I was trying to configure the JobTracker to run on a separate machine
as the Namenode (per the documentation's recommendation).

When I try to configure it and run ./start-all.sh , the NameNode tries
to start the JobTracker on itself and fails with error.  However, it
starts all other necessary daemons.  This is the error on the
NameNode:
Problem binding to JOBTRACKER_HOSTNAME/10.1.10.2:54311

I am able to start the jobtracker individually on the jobtracker
machine that I want to use and everything works fine.  But, I was
under the impression that I could use the ./start-all.sh script on the
NameNode to start all the machines in the cluster.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

Re: Running JobTracker on a separate machine

Posted by Harsh J <qw...@gmail.com>.
start-all.sh will attempt to launch a JobTracker on the same machine
it was executed on (which would fail since mapred.job.tracker would
point to an unavailable binding address). The right way is to launch
these individually (or perhaps writing a custom/modified script to do
what you need).

--
Harsh J
http://harshj.com