Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/21 19:06:44 UTC

[VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Okay, lets give this a shot:

The (proposed) release artifacts have been built and are up at:

http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9/

The changes are here:

http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/

Please vote to officially release these artifacts as 2.9.0, or point out
any errors and I'll fix and repackage.

We need at least 3 binding (PMC) votes.

Thanks everyone for all their hard work on this! This has been some release.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

RE: LUCENE 2.9 ANNOUNCE : Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
> > lucene wrote:
> > > Mark, make sure when you include the changes link that it has the
> > > /Changes.html part (your link gives you the dir listing).
> > >

> > I did that on purpose, since we have the contrib changes as well - I
> > give the exact link for the users announcement. I figured the PMC could
> > find their way ;)
> >
> > Speaking of which, I basically plan to use the release announce that
> > I've been using. So if anyone has any gripes with it, or any further
> > suggestions, please weigh in soon.
>
> +1
>
> Thanks for creating the 2.4 branch! I would like to commit the fixes for
> the

Sorry, I meant 2.9 branch :-)

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> lucene wrote:
>> Mark, make sure when you include the changes link that it has the
>> /Changes.html part (your link gives you the dir listing).
>>

> I did that on purpose, since we have the contrib changes as well - I
> give the exact link for the users announcement. I figured the PMC could
> find their way ;)

Ahh OK good, thanks.

Mike

LUCENE 2.9 ANNOUNCE : Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by lucene <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1 to release!

Mark, make sure when you include the changes link that it has the
/Changes.html part (your link gives you the dir listing).

> BTW, going forward, I think we should be consistent w/ other ASF
> projects and call our artifacts apache-lucene-X.zip, etc. and the
> artifacts should unpack into apache-lucene-X/ directory.

+1  Grant can you open an issue for 3.0 so we don't forget?

Mike

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
> Two minor nits:  The date in CHANGES.txt is wrong and I'm not crazy
> about the 1.5 stuff that Uwe mentioned, but agreed we can live with
> it.  I so can't wait to flip that switch to 1.5 and be done with it
> for a little while (until we start debating 1.5/1.6).

I do not think a switch to 1.6 is such a large problem like 1.4 to 1.5
(generics). The syntax of java code did not change, only some new classes
and methods. The change to 1.6 would be more smooth. I think even the class
format did not really change. As long as some of us use 1.5 (I for myself, I
hate 1.6 and its bugs), there is no problem. The only problem is some new
methods in some classes. The new things like webservice annotations and so
on are of no use for Lucene.

The time until 1.5 was too long in my opinion.

Uwe

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
We went over the date in a previous thread on java-dev - since its just
an estimate anyway, we decided to leave it.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
On 9/24/09 6:05 AM, "Grant Ingersoll" <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> BTW, going forward, I think we should be consistent w/ other ASF
> projects and call our artifacts apache-lucene-X.zip, etc. and the
> artifacts should unpack into apache-lucene-X/ directory.  No need to
> change for this release.

^_^, consistency is, appreciated...

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1,

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Andi Vajda wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, Chris Hostetter wrote:
>

>> : - db/bdb fails to compile with 1.4 because of a ClassFormatError in
>> one of
>> : the bundled libs, so this contrib is in reality 1.5 only.
>>
>> there's not much we can do about that, no one can blame us if the
>> dependency requires 1.5
>
> I don't think it requires it, it was most likely compiled with Java
> 1.5 or even 1.6. I thought that we had agreed that it didn't matter if
> contribs 'required' java 1.5 ?
>
> Andi..

Indeed - but for those contribs that are 1.4, we have tried to keep them
1.4 - especially core"y" contribs like Highlighter.

But overall, they don't promise back compat - which is why we are not
going to worry about this (the needed votes are in and I'm going to
publish faster than anyone can pull them ;) )

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>.

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: - db/bdb fails to compile with 1.4 because of a ClassFormatError in one of
: the bundled libs, so this contrib is in reality 1.5 only.

there's not much we can do about that, no one can blame us if the
dependency requires 1.5

: - Tests of contrib/misc use String.contains(), which is 1.5 only. As it just
: searches for an whitespace, it can be replaced by indexOf(' ')>=0
: - contrib/regex fails to build, because the JavaRegExpCapability defines an
: (unused) constant based on the value in Pattern.LITERAL, which does not
: exist in 1.4. Removing this constant fixes the problem.

I'm willing to publicly say "oh well" on these changes.

we've always said that contribs don't make the same back compat
commitments as core...
 - contrib/misc still works until 1.4, it's only the test that doesn't
work so "oh well" it's not worth cutting a new relase (if someone is using
contrib/misc w/1.4 and wants to run the tests, i don't think it's an undue
burden to suggest that they can change that one line and get 1.4 compat)
 - as for contrib/regex -- this change was made to add functionality, if
at the time of the change people had said "this means making contrib/regex
require 1.5" i don't think anyone would have objected.

-Hoss

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

I also tested the whole artifacts, works with 1.5. I do not know if it
prevents us from releasing it, but I am the bad guy and started to use Java
1.4.2 to build and test. Core works perfect, and after removing all contribs
that use -target=1.5 the compilation still fails (there is also the problem
that the build script does not automatically detect your JVM and should
leave the 1.5 contribs unbuild. This would be possible, if we add a ANT
regexp into the contrib-crawl and exclude all contribs which build script
contains "1.5" if java<1.5):

- db/bdb fails to compile with 1.4 because of a ClassFormatError in one of
the bundled libs, so this contrib is in reality 1.5 only.
- Tests of contrib/misc use String.contains(), which is 1.5 only. As it just
searches for an whitespace, it can be replaced by indexOf(' ')>=0
- contrib/regex fails to build, because the JavaRegExpCapability defines an
(unused) constant based on the value in Pattern.LITERAL, which does not
exist in 1.4. Removing this constant fixes the problem.

What should we do?

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by yangfeng <ye...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I don't think we should hold the release because some 1.5 code snuck
into contrib/regex and contrib/misc.

If this is a real problem for someone they can fix the sources & rebuild?

Mike

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, lets give this a shot:
>
> The (proposed) release artifacts have been built and are up at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9/
>
> The changes are here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~markrmiller/staging-area/lucene2.9changes/
>

> Please vote to officially release these artifacts as 2.9.0

+1

(just snuck under the 72 hr wire ;-)

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I'll get to an official vote tonight or tomorrow AM, but thanks in
advance for all the hard work.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
I just checked - its there - added 9/17/2009 - the 4096-bit key.

Along with 2 early, low bit keys I had tried early on.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Mark,

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

ship it!

	Erik

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
+1,

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Good job everyone!

On Win XP, Sun JVM 1.6.0_16 I ran the following tests:

lucene-2.9.0.zip:
- ant compile-demo
- ant demo-index-html
- ant demo-search-html
- ant demo-index-text
- ant demo-search-text
- ant jar-demo
- ant war-demo
- ant clean

Everything works fine. The only thing I'm wondering if ant clean should
not only clean up the build dir, but also the .jar and .war file after
ant jar-demo war-demo was run. But I think that's a nit and has been
like that forever.

lucene-2.9.0-src.zip:
- ant test-core
- ant test-contrib
- ant test-tag
- ant clean dist dist-src

All tests pass and also the generated docs look good.

  Michael

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 2.9.0

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Mark,