Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Gregor Zurowski <gr...@list.zurowski.org> on 2021/12/16 19:16:37 UTC

Camel Release | Website Build Issues

Hi Everyone:

I wanted to finish up the steps necessary to release Camel 3.14.0, but
I am running into issues with the website build:

```
YN0000: ERROR: "build:antora" exited with 1.
YN0000: The command failed for workspaces that are depended upon by
other workspaces; can't satisfy the dependency graph
```
See: https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Camel/job/Camel.website/job/main/630/console

Any ideas why that's happening?

Thanks in advance
Gregor

Re: Camel Release | Website Build Issues

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Andrea & Cameleers,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 8:36 PM Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to stress once again how much it's becoming non-deterministic
> to build the website.

I'm surprised that the build of the website is deemed
non-deterministic, and not the changes to the documentation. I've
found that the vast majority of website build failures were due to
changes to the documentation and not caused by the build process.

Last issue[1] that caused the website (not the build) to break was
when a change I made[2] broke loading CSS resources in the Antora part
of the website. I take full responsibility for that and I do wish that
I had caught that issue sooner, and I'm trying to find some time to
add more tests (e.g. visual regression tests[3]) to catch that.
Nonetheless, this was the first issue of this kind that I can remember
-- and I'll accept more feedback on this.

A lot of thought and effort has been and is done to increase the
robustness, ease maintainability and the overall quality of the
website, most of this work has been done by David and to a lesser
degree by me.

I think we have to remember, when the website build fails an issue has
been detected that could/will break the live website. We don't have a
staging process, all changes go directly live. I think we should make
every effort not to break the live website while allowing for frequent
website updates at the same time. Failing builds are a part of that.
The work David is proposing on partial builds will help with that by
allowing us to run quick local checks and in the future quick checks
on PRs. This will provide another, much earlier, barrier preventing
the website build failure. If folk want to help with that I'm sure
David is eager to see any help or comments on that.

> This is becoming everyday more complicated than it should be.

Can you elaborate on this? The website in itself is very complex, it
has two distinct ways of generating and rendering the resulting HTML
that we managed to marry together, we have ten git repositories and I
can't count how many branches that need to be in a correct state for
the documentation to build: i.e. contain proper versions, don't
contain syntax issues or broken links. I'd be happy to help and work
on any issue that anyone thinks is unnecessarily complicated.

> I think we need to focus on this. Because we shouldn't postpone a release
> for reason like this.

I agree, and I think a good way to help is to do reviews and suggest
improvements. The issue[1] I mentioned above was caused by a pull
request that I, being a large change, left in review for a significant
amount of time. I failed to check the preview properly, i.e. I checked
the Hugo bits that were causing problems, but failed to check a clean
Antora build that was done on the PR; so having a local build that was
not a clean build masked the issue for me.

> Building the website should be something like black magic and voodoo
> invocation. It should work much more easily.

To build the website one needs to follow the instructions[4], I
understand that for mainly Java developers this can seem like black
magic, I can only assure folk that it isn't. I'd be happy to work on
improving this, but I don't have a concrete issue to work on, please
provide examples of what is not clear and I can work on adding more
documentation or simplifications.

> I'll start another dev discussion about this argument.

+1

zoran

[1] https://github.com/apache/camel-website/issues/718
[2] https://github.com/apache/camel-website/pull/712
[3] https://github.com/apache/camel-website/issues/726
[4] https://github.com/apache/camel-website/#build-the-website-and-antora-theme
--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel Release | Website Build Issues

Posted by Gregor Zurowski <gr...@list.zurowski.org>.
Thanks for looking into this and fixing it.

Gregor

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for fixing it.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,
Everything looks good now. The issue was that I've forgotten to remove
`prerelease: true`[1] for Camel Karaf 3.14.x.

This is already documented[2], so my bad for adjusting the versions too hastily.

zoran

[1] https://github.com/apache/camel-karaf/commit/734dcba22798e35918762fee7212efbba59c7326
[2] https://camel.apache.org/manual/release-guide-website.html#_changes_to_the_new_branches_e_g_camel_3_13_x_in_affected_content_repositories

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel Release | Website Build Issues

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel Release | Website Build Issues

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel Release | Website Build Issues

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Camel Release | Website Build Issues

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,

--
Zoran Regvart