Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@edge.co.jp> on 2002/05/28 03:09:17 UTC

examples for Apache2 API?

Now I have an offer from a technical magazine to write mod_perl 2.0
article, to illustrate the power of Apache2 / mod_perl 2.00, in
Japanese.

There I want to write mod_perl 2.0 specific things like generic
protocols, filter API, APR, Apache::Test etc. Is there any good
examples for them?  As I see, documents are something sparse (which
means "PATCHES WELCOME" state I guess ;), so test suits under t/
directory will be the best examples I can get right now. Am I right in
saying so?

Any pointers (including suggestions for the article) are welcome.

--
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@edge.co.jp>

Re: examples for Apache2 API?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa wrote:
> At Tue, 28 May 2002 23:24:56 +0800,
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>>Any pointers (including suggestions for the article) are welcome.
>>
>>When do you need to publish it?
>

> I've been told that July 10th will be the deadline ;)

Great, so we have time!

>>I'm working on my OSC paper (intro to
>>mod_perl 2.0) partially based on the docs that Doug originally wrote
>>with the new stuff I'm adding on top of it. When it's done I'm also
>>planning to publish it as an article (probably a few articles). If you
>>are interested we can work together on it and end up with an English and
>>Japanese versions :) My work covers the new things in Apache 2.0/
>>mod_perl 2.0 / Perl 5.6-5.8 (relevant to mod_perl).
>

> Sounds exciting! I'm very interested in co-working with you.

I'll keep you posted then, hopefully I'll have something to show till
the end of this week.

>>However, I was actually holding off on publishing the articles, since I
>>believe it's still early to bring a big attention to modperl 2.0. The
>>docs aren't there yet and it's better to announce things in media when
>>we get more prepared. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>

> I guess you mean "Early announce with sparse documents" is worse than
> "Later announce with enough documents", which seems cleverer strategy.
> I vote +1 for that.

I'm not sure, if it's clever, I just think we better spend time
finishing up things now, then answering gazillions of questions. Luckily
we don't need to use marketing strategies used by commercial bodies,
where marketers sell projects that are still only planned.

Re: examples for Apache2 API?

Posted by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@edge.co.jp>.

Re: examples for Apache2 API?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa wrote:
> Now I have an offer from a technical magazine to write mod_perl 2.0
> article, to illustrate the power of Apache2 / mod_perl 2.00, in
> Japanese.

cool!

> There I want to write mod_perl 2.0 specific things like generic
> protocols, filter API, APR, Apache::Test etc. Is there any good
> examples for them?  As I see, documents are something sparse (which
> means "PATCHES WELCOME" state I guess ;), so test suits under t/
> directory will be the best examples I can get right now. Am I right in
> saying so?

Yes, the test suite is best place for now. The latest docs are in /docs.
The Apache::Test has an extensive documentation.

> Any pointers (including suggestions for the article) are welcome.

When do you need to publish it? I'm working on my OSC paper (intro to
mod_perl 2.0) partially based on the docs that Doug originally wrote
with the new stuff I'm adding on top of it. When it's done I'm also
planning to publish it as an article (probably a few articles). If you
are interested we can work together on it and end up with an English and
Japanese versions :) My work covers the new things in Apache 2.0/
mod_perl 2.0 / Perl 5.6-5.8 (relevant to mod_perl).

However, I was actually holding off on publishing the articles, since I
believe it's still early to bring a big attention to modperl 2.0. The
docs aren't there yet and it's better to announce things in media when
we get more prepared. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That's said, help
with the docs is very essential.