Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gd...@macromedia.com> on 2001/06/26 22:50:22 UTC

Today's chat log

This is a bit on the long side, as the conversation continued well past 1PM,
but some of it is well worth reading.  Do with it as you choose.

Glen Daniels
Macromedia
http://www.macromedia.com/
                                Building cool stuff for web developers

Re: Today's chat log

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
On the topic of getting the API just right .. I'm in general a
believer in incremental delivery and improvement. As such, I
don't have any concerns with putting a 0.5 with an API that
would change drastically before 1.0. I think Axis, as representing
v3 of Apache's SOAP projects, needs to improve on the Apache
SOAP v2.2 APIs to be a real next step. Apache SOAP's APIs were
never revisited because, well, nothing major was revisited in
Apache SOAP because of the focus on Axis as the next iteration
(the v3 discussions started last Sept or so if I remember right).
Reusing the same type of API is fine if that's still the best
we can do, but we need to address this with an open mind.

So, IMO:
    - for 0.5 anything goes
    - for 1.0, its gotta do better than Apache SOAP v2.2.
That's my Rs. 0.02 (getting ready for Sri Lanka ;-)) worth on
this topic.

Sanjiva.