Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net> on 2018/12/18 14:45:55 UTC

Regarding to Release Apache NetBeans 10

As wanted, this is a new discussion based on the Release of Apache NetBeans 10.

Why are the tags only the source Code? We should have the release there too? I clicked on the zip Archive and downloaded, because I thought it is the release but it is only the source Code. The release section should be the release/build artifact too. This is how the Release section is working. And if someone is using GitHub and Looks into the Releases they expect the binary/installer or in our case the portable Version of NetBeans.

Cheers

Chris

Re: Regarding to Release Apache NetBeans 10

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Eduardo, it's a nice thread!

--emi

http://coolbeans.xyz/ - CoolBeans: An IDE for Java, JavaEE, PHP and more!

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
> Yes I know that, but it is still public and everyone can see it

The parliament proceedings are still (mostly) public for everyone to
see, but people only really care about the final law.

Laws also get various drafts, failed votes, last minute changes, etc.

> The release section should be the release/build artifact too

Might have to do with Apache Foundation only releasing 'source code'.
It's a bad choice for user-facing software (and even for libraries
which get consumed via their Maven binary artefacts), but it's
Apache's rules so what can we do about it.

AW: Regarding to Release Apache NetBeans 10

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Ok I can.
I only remembered, that I already brought this discussion at the beginning of NetBeans 10 smth like that.
And for me, it was part of the Voting, because it is not similar to the other Releases like 7.0, 8.0, 9.0. I don’t know why we changed it to 10 instead of 10.0. But ok, will bring it up on 11 again.

Cheers

Chris

We're not going to discuss or change release numbering patterns in the
middle of a release.

Can you put this discussion aside for the moment, and raise it again if you
like when we work on Apache NetBeans 11, and in the meantime focus on what
needs to be focused on: voting on vc5.

Thanks,

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
And to bring it up again, as this was said often, the VC is confusing for users who are not inside of the Apache Business. I thought we are treated it only for internal process, but it is open to see for everyone.

And the third Thing is again the Version number. I thought we will comunicate NetBeans 10 to the public and intern we will have 10.0 but no, 10.0 is still for the public too. So again, I would suggest to have it as the old way 10.0, but for this, we should Change the Splash screen. It is confusing, sometimes we are Talking About 10 and sometimes About 10.0 which is also 100, etc.

So Nothing internal, Nothing external, it should be the same, everywhere.

Cheers

Chris