Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Edward Turner <ed...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/01 07:59:29 UTC

Solrcloud export all results sorted by score

Hi all,

As far as I understand, SolrCloud currently does not allow the use of
sorting by the pseudofield, score in the /export request handler (i.e., get
the results in relevancy order). If we do attempt this, we get an
exception, "org.apache.solr.search.SyntaxError: Scoring is not currently
supported with xsort". We could use Solr's cursorMark, but this takes a
very long time ...

Exporting results does work, however, when exporting result sets by a
specific document field that has docValues set to true.

Question:
Does anyone know if/when it will be possible to sort by score in the
/export handler?

Research on the problem:
We've seen https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5244 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8664, which are related to this
issue, but don't fix it. Maybe I've missed a more relevant issue?

Our use-case We are using Solrcloud in our team and it's added a huge
amount of value to our users.

We show a table of search results ordered by score (relevancy) that was
obtained from sending a query to the standard /select handler. We're
working in the life-sciences domain and it is common for our result sets to
contain many millions of results (unfortunately). After users browse their
results, they then may want to download the results that they see, to do
some post-processing. However, to do this, such that the results appear in
the order that the user originally saw them, we'd need to be able to export
results based on score/relevancy.

Any suggestions or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Edd

PS. apologies for posting also on Stackoverflow (
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58167152/solrcloud-export-all-results-sorted-by-score)
better to reach out directly to Solr's people (I can share any answer from
this forum on there retrospectively).

Re: Solrcloud export all results sorted by score

Posted by Edward Turner <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Good info, thank you for that!

> What's your UI & middle layer like for this application and
> eventual "download" ?

I'm working in a team on the back-end side of things, where we providing a
REST API that can be used by clients, which include our UI, which is a
React JS based app with various fancy bio visualisations in it. Slightly
more detail, Solr is used purely for search, giving the IDs of the hits. We
then use a key-value store to fetch the IDs entity data. So, generally
speaking, each "download" involves:

1. user request asking for data in content-type X
2. our REST app makes solr request
3. IDs <- solr fetches results
4. entities <- fetch from key-value store entities with keys in IDs
5. write entities in format X

Using cursorMark, 3 & 4 will be performed repeatedly until all hits
fetched; and we may run 3 in a separate thread to 4 & 5, to ensure Solr
communication need not block fetching entity data / writing. We could do
more optimisation around these tasks, but I'm sure you've already
understood.

Many thanks for your input.

Best,
Edd

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
Maybe you can sort later using Spark or similar. For that you don’t need a full blown cluster - it runs also on localhost.

Posted by Edward Turner <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erick,

Posted by Edward Turner <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi Walter,

Thank you also for your reply. Good to know of your experience. Roughly how
many documents were you fetching? Unfortunately, it's possible that some of
our users could attempt to "download" many records, meaning we'd need to
make a request to Solr where rows >= 150M. A key challenge for us is that
in the life sciences, when more sequencing data comes in, it's possible for
our data-sets to grow extremely quickly. Currently it doubles every 18
months or so (and today we have about 200M records, so not super big right
now).

Best,
Edd
Edward Turner