Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2007/04/07 20:23:08 UTC

Re: [HttpConn] another status update

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 20:12 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:

> > (3) I would like to add logging decorators for HttpDataReceiver and
> > HttpDataTransmitter interfaces, so we could have the convenience of wire
> > logging, which I find very useful when developing new stuff.
>
> I put a TalkativeSocketFactory in the HttpClient contrib code to achieve
> a similar result, but I never was satisfied with that plug-in point,
> and it would not work well for layered connections. Please go ahead.
> Btw, when I used that approach, it seemed that some characters in the
> header were being written one by one rather than buffered. I don't
> recall what exactly it was, it might have been a header name.
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Hi Roland,

I added wire and headers logging to DefaultClientConnection. Please
review. I also would like to go ahead and close HTTPCLIENT-497 if I hear
no objections.

Do you think we should keep TalkativeSocketFactory in the contrib
package?

Cheers,

Oleg

Re: [HttpConn] another status update

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

I don't have time for a thorough review, but I had a glimpse.
Looks good to me. If it works (which I assume :-), throw out
the TalkativeSocket stuff and close HTTPCLIENT-497.

One thing though: I hate classes that don't appear in the
default JavaDocs. How about making the Wire class public?
It's in an impl package, that should be enough to tell people
that it is not part of the API.

At one point in time, we have to review all logging classes
and preferably change the static Log objects to non-static.
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Logging/StaticLog
But there's plenty of static ones in the connection classes
I ported, too. So we better do that in one go when we feel
that the code is becoming stable, rather than piece by piece
while we port individual classes.

cheers,
  Roland