Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Mohamed Marzban <mo...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/05 18:45:11 UTC

Deploying HTTP transparent proxy cache on Apache Traffic server

Hi,

I am trying to deploy HTTP transparent proxy cache on Apache Traffic
server. The scenario consists of a client that is connected to the internet
router through the ATS server.

I am using ATS v.6.0. I configured the record.config file as follows:
-CONFIG proxy.config.url_remap.remap_required INT 0
-CONFIG proxy.config.http.server_ports STRING 8080:tr-full
-CONFIG proxy.config.log.logging_enabled INT 3
-CONFIG proxy.config.log.squid_log_enabled INT 1

I followed Alan M. Carroll's iptables, ebtables and other networking
commands (http://network-geographics.com/assets/docs/ApacheCon-2013.pdf )
to route the HTTP traffic through the ATS using the bridge configuration
but it didn't work with me. On tracing using wireshark at the client side,
the handshaking between the server and the client occurs but the data
packets are not received by the client. Can anyone help me with that?

On the mailing list, I found a previous thread on HTTP transparent caching
that dates back to May 2012. I used iptables DIVERT and networking commands
as recommended by Saraswathi Venkataraman on this thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/trafficserver-users/201205.mbox/%3CBB345F600CB1164AB82F077B37194D4317337487%40mumEX01.India.XoriantCorp.com%3E
The traffic passes through the ATS and the webpages are displayed properly
at the client side. When I stop the ATS, no traffic is received at the
client side so I am sure it goes through the ATS. However, nothing appears
in the squid logs and most probably nothing is cached at the ATS. How can I
configure the ATS to cache the ongoing traffic and view that in the squid
log files?

Thanks,
M. Marzban

Re: Deploying HTTP transparent proxy cache on Apache Traffic server

Posted by Kieron Robertson <ki...@manandmachine.biz>.
Hi Mohamed,

I used this setup for a transparent forward proxy. Its built on Centos and
it worked for ATS 4.2.1 but it should still be valid for ATS 6.

Kind regards,

Kieron

Kieron Robertson

Man and Machine