Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/18 05:40:50 UTC

Confusing Yarn RPC Configuration

I use yarn.resourcemanager.connect.max-wait.ms to control how much time to
wait for setting up RM connection. But the weird thing I found that this
configuration is not the real max wait time. Actually Yarn will convert it
to retry count with configuration
yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms.
Let's say yarn.resourcemanager.connect.max-wait.ms=10000 and
yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms=2000, then yarn will create
RetryUpToMaximumCountWithFixedSleep with max count = 5 (10000/2000)
Because for each RM connection, there's retry policy inside of hadoop RPC.
Let's say ipc.client.connect.retry.interval=1000
and ipc.client.connect.max.retries=10, so for each RM connection it will
try 10 times and totally cost 10 seconds (1000*10).  So overall for the RM
connection it would cost 50 seconds (10 * 5), and this number is not
consistent with yarn.resourcemanager.connect.max-wait.ms which confuse
users. I am not sure the purpose of 2 rounds of retry policy (Yarn side and
RPC internal side), should it be only 1 round of retry policy and yarn
related configuration is just for override the RPC configuration ?

BTW, I believe it is the same issue for node manage connection.

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: Confusing Yarn RPC Configuration

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, looks like it is resolved in 2.7

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohith Sharma K S <ro...@huawei.com>.