Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com> on 2003/08/01 16:31:53 UTC

[Woody] explicit in

Continuing my file format polishing...

Currently, any markup inside a <wt:widget> is copied as is, but
surrounded by a <wi:style> by WoodyTransformer, i.e.
  <wt:widget id="foo">
    <popup/>
  </wt:widget>

is transformed into :
  <wi:widget id="foo">
    <wi:style><popup/></wi:style>
    <wi:label>fooValue</wi:label>
  <wi:widget>

I found several annoyances related to the fact that <wi:style> isn't
explicit in the template :
- it appears automagically and thus is a bit confusing...
- it forbids the use of attributes for styling (e.g. class) unless
they're placed on a dummy element
- we agreed that <wt:field> could contain visual characteristics of the
widget, such as <wi:label>. This means that wi: markup inside
<wi:widget> should not be included in the produced <wi:style> while
non-wi: markup should. Confusing...

For these reasons, I propose to make <wi:style> explicit in the template
file, e.g. :
  <wt:widget ref="foo"> <!-- new "ref" attribute !! -->
    <wi:style class="bar" variant="popup"/>
    <wi:label>overriden label</wi:label>
  </wt:wiget/>

Thoughts ?

Sylvain

Re: [Woody] explicit in

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Bruno Dumon wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 16:31, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

>>For these reasons, I propose to make <wi:style> explicit in the template file, e.g. :
>>  <wt:widget ref="foo"> <!-- new "ref" attribute !! -->
>>    <wi:style class="bar" variant="popup"/>
>>    <wi:label>overriden label</wi:label>
>>  </wt:wiget/>
>>
>>Thoughts ?
>>

>Again: yeah, it is better ;-)

Kewl again ;-)

>While I'm thinking of it, there is a somewhat similar situation in the
>form definition files: widgets that have child widgets, such as wd:form
>and wd:repeater, currently have these child widgets listed immediately
>inside the wd:form and wd:repeater elements. It would be better to wrap
>those inside a wd:children element (or similar), so that forms and
>repeaters can have other configuration elements too.

This totally makes sense :
- in XMLForm, I used <xf:label> on <xf:groups> to produce the <label> of
a <fieldset>
- an aggregate field, being a leaf from the GUI point of view, must have
its label, format, etc.

Sylvain

Re: [Woody] explicit in

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 16:31, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Continuing my file format polishing...
>
> Currently, any markup inside a <wt:widget> is copied as is, but
> surrounded by a <wi:style> by WoodyTransformer, i.e.
>   <wt:widget id="foo">
>     <popup/>
>   </wt:widget>
>
> is transformed into :
>   <wi:widget id="foo">
>     <wi:style><popup/></wi:style>
>     <wi:label>fooValue</wi:label>
>   <wi:widget>
>
> I found several annoyances related to the fact that <wi:style> isn't
> explicit in the template :
> - it appears automagically and thus is a bit confusing...
> - it forbids the use of attributes for styling (e.g. class) unless
> they're placed on a dummy element
> - we agreed that <wt:field> could contain visual characteristics of the
> widget, such as <wi:label>. This means that wi: markup inside
> <wi:widget> should not be included in the produced <wi:style> while
> non-wi: markup should. Confusing...
>
> For these reasons, I propose to make <wi:style> explicit in the template
> file, e.g. :
>   <wt:widget ref="foo"> <!-- new "ref" attribute !! -->
>     <wi:style class="bar" variant="popup"/>
>     <wi:label>overriden label</wi:label>
>   </wt:wiget/>
>
> Thoughts ?