Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Conrad O'Dea <co...@iona.com> on 2006/02/01 16:32:19 UTC

Integrating Geronimo and Celtix

Hi there,

I am a member of the Celtix [1] development team and am currently
looking at integrating Celtix into different J2EE containers.  The
idea is that Celtix would provide a web service stack for
applications deployed in Geronimo.

I've started looking at the Geronimo code-base and the
WebServiceContainer piece in particular.  I'm just really in the
process of familiarising myself with the code and have two initial
questions (I'm sure more will follow!)

1. Are there any design docs for the WebService container and how
interacts with the deployer and the other containers?  Anything to
help get more familiar with this part of Geronimo would be good.  I
had a look at Geronimo web site but nothing relevant leapt out  at me.

2. What is the plan for JEE 5 support in Geronimo?  More
specifically, Celtix depends on a bunch of specs (JAX WS 2.0, JAXB
2.0 etc.) that will form part of JEE 5 and are highly dependant on
JSE 5 (principally for annotations).  Presumably this will be
Geronimo 2.0.

That said, from reading some of the dev list on the subject it seems
that JEE 5 work may be a little way off.   In that case it should be
possible to work within the current runtime but just requiring that
JSE 5 be used.

Any tips on getting started at this would be welcomed

thanks
Conrad

[1] http://celtix.objectweb.org/