Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Bhattacharya, Sudip" <su...@genpact.com> on 2012/09/24 13:52:11 UTC

[users@httpd] Uploading files to Apache Server

Hi,

I need a way to upload files to a remote Apache Web Server. Can you guide me on the best option?
I want to avoid setting up a separate FTP server on the same box if possible.

I have seen some options while browsing on the net:
1. WebDav - some sites say that it is an old protocol and performance on WAN would not be good
2. NETBIOS shares - as it is a windows server, Netbios may work. But performance on WAN connections is speculated to be bad.
3. Enable FTP protocol on Apache using Mod_ftp. Haven't managed to successfully configure this module yet.

Also note that the file uploads will be via a JAVA application (not servlet/manual uploads). So whatever is the option, it should enable uploads via a java application.
The files to upload will vary from 1mb to 30mb to upto 100mb (rare). Average size would be 5mb.
WAN connection would restrict bandwidth to 30-40kbps speed per connection. So the option should be able to sustain a file upload on such a slow WAN connection.

______________________________
Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya

This e-mail (and any attachments), is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only
by intended recipients. Unauthorized access to this e-mail (or attachments) and disclosure or copying of its
contents or any action taken in reliance on it is unlawful. Unintended recipients must notify the sender immediately
by e-mail/phone & delete it from their system without making any copies or disclosing it to a third person.

RE: [users@httpd] Uploading files to Apache Server

Posted by "Bhattacharya, Sudip" <su...@genpact.com>.
You are right. These are data files, PDF/TIF/DOC/XLS, etc.

Will HTTP POST be a good option for 5-10-30mb files performance wise?

Also, my organization does not allow enabling PERL/PHP on Apache. Taking it through infosec would be a long process.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 05:22:11PM +0530, Bhattacharya, Sudip wrote:
> Also note that the file uploads will be via a JAVA application (not servlet/manual uploads). So whatever is the option, it should enable uploads via a java application.
> The files to upload will vary from 1mb to 30mb to upto 100mb (rare). Average size would be 5mb.
> WAN connection would restrict bandwidth to 30-40kbps speed per connection. So the option should be able to sustain a file upload on such a slow WAN connection.

That makes it sound like these are data files and not code. If that's the case then why not just have your client side Java execute an HTTP POST request and put a handler script on the server side to receive and process it?

Pete
--
Openstrike - improving business through open source http://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722 770036 / 07092 020107

Posted by Pete Houston <ph...@openstrike.co.uk>.