Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2009/01/26 07:11:51 UTC

Split the framework/common component?

The specific thing about messages is pretty simple... they should like
in the lowest level (most depended on) component that uses them. If
they are used in the party and common components, then they should go
in the common component. Looking at the common component it is
frustrating to see a number of labels/messages that include the word
"party" as the common component doesn't know anything about parties
(and should remain lower level and not know anything about parties
even if we do split some of it into the applications).

What to do with the common component is a bit of a tough call. I
originally considered a lot of those data structures to be very
generic and appropriate to put in a framework. There are lots of
examples of low level tools including infrastructure for things like
this, the Java APIs being a good example of one that includes things
related to many of these.

Some entities should definitely stay in the framework, like the
Status* and Enumeration* entities in common and the WebSite and
related entities in webapp, and I still think most of the other ones
should too. There may be specific cases, but for the most part I think
they are where they should be.

I'll admit some are more dubious, so I'll gladly join in discussing
specific entities. Some are really generic, but only used in one
application component, like the CustomTimePeriod is only used in
accounting, but it is a more generic concept so doesn't have to be
only used there and could be reused for other things...

-David

Re: Split the framework/common component?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
OK, it seems that there is already a consensus around Jacopo's proposition. So I will switch common/geo to it ASAP

Jacques

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>
> On Jan 26, 2009, at 7:11 AM, David E Jones wrote:
>

>> The specific thing about messages is pretty simple... they should  like in the lowest level (most depended on) component that
>> uses  them. If they are used in the party and common components, then they  should go in the common component. Looking at the
>> common component  it is frustrating to see a number of labels/messages that include  the word "party" as the common component
>> doesn't know anything about  parties (and should remain lower level and not know anything about  parties even if we do split some
>> of it into the applications).
>>

> Yes, I totally agree with you.

>From a practical point of view I would prefer Jacopo's solution. For instance take the label CommonGeoLocation. I agree it has
nothing to do in Framework. But on the other hand it's no more related to Party than Product (Facility) or Accouting (Fixed Asset).
So, from a logical point of view, it does not make sense to put them in Party (most depended on) and we could create a Common
application component where such artifacts (not only labels) could reside. I'm sure that at term it will prove useful, because it's
logical! Why searching in Party something common at the same level at several components ?

>> What to do with the common component is a bit of a tough call. I  originally considered a lot of those data structures to be very
>> generic and appropriate to put in a framework. There are lots of  examples of low level tools including infrastructure for things
>> like  this, the Java APIs being a good example of one that includes things  related to many of these.
>>

> For sure we still need a common component for the framework, but in my  opinion it should contain only framework related common
> artifacts  (entities etc...) and not applications related common artifacts (that  should be moved into the new common component in
> the applications  folder).

+1

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.