Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Jaymin <fo...@opensymphony.com> on 2007/01/11 06:39:11 UTC

Struts 1 & 2 together

Hi,

We are in process of implementing struts2 in one of our exiting application developed using Struts 1 (using Appfuse). We would like to start use of Struts 2 in upcoming enhancements.

I would like to understand that is it possible to keep existing code of application developed using Struts 1 unchanged and we start new enhancement/development using Struts 2.

We have tried replacing the Struts 1 jar files with Struts 2 jar file assuming that it will support the existing code developed using Struts1. But it gives errors e.g. “ActionMessages cannot be resolved to a type”.

Thanks in advance for all your inputs and thoughts.

Regards,
Jaymin

Re: Struts 1 & 2 together

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Both the Struts 1 and Struts 2 JARs are needed.

Here's the thing: Java web applications can support multiple servlets
and multiple filters. S1 and S2 do not overlap in terms of runtime
resources or namespaces, and so we can use both in the same web
application. You could probably also use Spring MVC and S2 side by
side too.

Here's a tutorial that starts out with an S1 application and then adds
S2 actions.

* http://StrutsUniversity.org/Migrating+Tutorial

-Ted.