Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com> on 2017/08/31 05:33:37 UTC

A solution for snapshots stuck in Allocated/BackingUp states

Hello, community.

Today we (again) met snapshots stuck in exotic states and I decided to
create small guide how to fix it. AFAIK, somebody tried to manage KB in
GitHub about useful tools, cases, etc. It might be that small article can
be included. I wrote it because short googling didn't give positive results
about the problem. Also, all comments are welcome.

https://bitworks.software/blog/en/2017-08-31-cloudstack-removing-snapshots-stuck-in-allocated-backingup-states.html

Also, the same for Russian-speaking people:

https://bitworks.software/blog/2017-08-31-cloudstack-removing-snapshots-stuck-in-allocated-backingup-states.html

--
With best regards, Ivan Kudryavtsev
Bitworks Software, Ltd.

Re: A solution for snapshots stuck in Allocated/BackingUp states

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
May I suggest another permanent fix (sounds like a joke, but I'm actually
serious) - move away from Primary Storage whose behavior is to copy
snapshoted data to Secondary Storage - to the Primary Storage that doesn't
copy content to Secondary Storage -i.e. SolidFire :)

Imagine having 500GB disk customer, who configured hourly snapshots with
CEPH/NFS.... this is the reason we at first disabled hourly snapshots in
GUI :)

We also sometimes hit this problem, all CEPH and NFS volumes (ACS 4.5, ACS
4.8) and this is due to sometimes also concurrent snaps on same volume or
VM, this is more of ACS logic problem, not underlying infra problem  - i.e.
volume owner configured both daily and weekly/monthly snapshot to start at
identical time (same HH:MM), so one of them is stuck in Allocated state etc
(and BTW this was on SolidFire, where snapshots are instant, stays on
SolidFire, and takes i.e. 3 seconds to make proper snap to BackedUp state -
even here we had issues, agani pure ACS/user logic root cause)

Best
Andrija

Andrija Panić

Re: A solution for snapshots stuck in Allocated/BackingUp states

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Hi, Dag.