Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Wu, Daniel" <Da...@sonyconnect.com> on 2007/09/28 20:13:16 UTC

Index multiple languages with multiple analyzers with the same field

Hi,

I know this probably has been asked before, but I was not able to find
it in the mailing list.  So forgive me if I repeated the same question.

We are trying to build a search application to support multiple
languages.  Users can potentially query with any language.  First
thought come to us is to index the text of all languages in the same
field using language specific analyzer.  As all the data are indexed in
the same field, it would just find results with the language that
matches the user query.

Looking at the Solr schema, it seems each field can have one and only
analyzer.  Is it possible to have multiple analyzers for the same field?

Or is there any other approaches that can achieve the same thing?

Daniel

Re: Index multiple languages with multiple analyzers with the same field

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 28-Sep-07, at 11:13 AM, Wu, Daniel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know this probably has been asked before, but I was not able to find
> it in the mailing list.  So forgive me if I repeated the same
> question.

This thread hashes out the issues in quite a lot of detail:

<http://www.nabble.com/Multi-language-indexing-and-searching-
tf3885324.html#a11012939>

-Mike

Re: Index multiple languages with multiple analyzers with the same field

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

> But I can't see how to fit into this UNLESS you are going to create an
> analyzer to handle a language parameter and based on it would be able to
> apply a set of filters (and sometimes you want a different - but compatible
> - set of filters in indexing/query time).

I don't think this is what you are asking for, but...  in 1.3 you can
configure an UpdateRequestProcessor -- this lets you add custom code
just before AddUpdateCommand is called.  It is a good place to implement
a conditional copyField.  Check SOLR-269

ryan

Re: Index multiple languages with multiple analyzers with the same field

Posted by Daniel Alheiros <Da...@bbc.co.uk>.
Same Here.

But I can't see how to fit into this UNLESS you are going to create an
analyzer to handle a language parameter and based on it would be able to
apply a set of filters (and sometimes you want a different - but compatible
- set of filters in indexing/query time). It would work, but doing so we
lose the advantage of having Solr config were we can change and experiment
alternative analyzers/tokenizers/filters compositions...

What I've done is I created one specific text field per language and created
a dismax request handler per language (using language name or ISO name) and
it is very flexible and appropriate for each language.

I've also created for management simplicity a dismax handler that allows me
to query all documents no matter in which language it is. May be useful for
you too.

Regards,
Daniel Alheiros

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

RE: Index multiple languages with multiple analyzers with the same field

Posted by Thom Nelson <th...@gmail.com>.