Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gohaku <go...@earthlink.net> on 2003/12/05 18:57:40 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem Starting Apache after following DynDNS.org instructions

hi everyone,
I'm currently trying to access Apache through a Linksys Router.  I
downloaded DNSUpdate and when I access somename.homelinux.com, I get
directed to my Router's configuration page.  Then I found this page:
http://www.dyndns.org/support/kb/apachevhosts.html
I followed the directions to a tee and when I tried to restart Apache,
I couldn't.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.
-gohaku

Re: [users@httpd] Problem Starting Apache after following DynDNS.org instructions

Posted by Gohaku <go...@earthlink.net>.
On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 01:05 PM, Jez Hancock wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 11:51:19AM -0500, Gohaku wrote:
>> I looked for duplicate entries but did not find any.  Apache will
>> startup if I comment the lines DynDNS.org said to uncomment.
> Can't comment on this, a link might help :P
>
>> Also, I just found out other Computers within my LAN cannot access the
>> Webserver(192.168.1.100).  I don't have any firewalls setup, how do I
>> fix this?
> Do you see any entries in your httpd access log when you try and browse
> to:
>
> http://192.168.1.100
>
> ?

Sorry, I have forgotten where the access logs and what the filename is.

Posted by Jez Hancock <je...@munk.nu>.

Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.
Gohaku wrote (in part):

> I looked for duplicate entries but did not find any.  Apache will
> startup if I comment the lines DynDNS.org said to uncomment.
> Also, I just found out other Computers within my LAN cannot access the
> Webserver(192.168.1.100).  I don't have any firewalls setup, how do I
> fix this?

I don't know what DynDNS is telling you to uncomment, but I use DNS2Go
here and had to do NOTHING special (in Apache) to make it work.  For
anyone that does not know, DNS2Go and DynDNS are both DNS previders that
are specifically intended to work with a client piece of software that
chatrs with the DNS provider to enable real time updating of the
client's IP address.  My home network is this:
    ADSL from Earthlink (with dynamic IP) to my house is connected to
DSL modem.
    10Base-T from DSL modem to WAN side of LinkSys NAT router.
        Router is set up to forward port 80 traffic to 192.168.1.11 (the
server running Apache).
    10Base-T from LAN side of LinkSys router to 10Base-T hub.
    10Base-T from hub to each computer.
    Windows 2000 Server running Apache 2.0.48
    Server also runs DNS2Go client software so that my domains (2 of
them) will point to my dynamic IP address.
I did not have to do anything special when I set up the server to make
it work with DNS2Go.
I will happily send you extracts from my httpd.conf file so that you can
compare what I am doing vs what DynDNS is telling you to do.

-------------------------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
Ofc:  626-302-8515
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc
AMSAT Member 32537 - WSWSS Member 395

Re: [users@httpd] Problem Starting Apache after following DynDNS.org instructions

Posted by Gohaku <go...@earthlink.net>.
On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 11:17 AM, Jez Hancock wrote
>> This is the Error message I saw:
>> [Sat Dec  6 10:37:42 2003] [warn] module php4_module is already
>> loaded,
>> skipping
>> [Sat Dec  6 10:37:42 2003] [warn] module mod_php4.c is already added,
>> skipping
>> [Sat Dec  6 10:37:43 2003] [alert] httpd: Could not determine the
>> server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
>> /usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started
>>
>> I uncommented and changed the Directive to :
>> ServerName somename.homelinux.com
>>
>> and saw:
>> [Sat Dec  6 10:37:42 2003] [warn] module php4_module is already
>> loaded,
>> skipping
>> [Sat Dec  6 10:37:42 2003] [warn] module mod_php4.c is already added,
>> skipping
>> /usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started
>>
>> Apache did not work both times.
> According to the above the httpd did start ok, so what exactly is the
> problem?
>
> PS - you probably want to go through the httpd.conf file and remove any
> duplicate entries for the php4_module and mod_php4.c lines.
> --

I looked for duplicate entries but did not find any.  Apache will
startup if I comment the lines DynDNS.org said to uncomment.
Also, I just found out other Computers within my LAN cannot access the
Webserver(192.168.1.100).  I don't have any firewalls setup, how do I
fix this?
Thanks.

Posted by Jez Hancock <je...@munk.nu>.

Posted by Gohaku <go...@earthlink.net>.