Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Austin Shelton <as...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/08 03:20:06 UTC

Restored Documents

Hi Everybody.

I killed OpenOffice accidentally. When I started the program again the restored document was gibberish.

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered on the list. I am new to the list.

Austin/Jesse Shelton
ashelton3@gmail.com
https://sites.google.com/site/ashelton3/home

Re: Restored Documents

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 11:01:21 -0500
Ernie Kurtz <ku...@umich.edu> wrote:

> Rob,
>
> I appreciate your thorough answers, from which I often learn much.  But on this one, I use OO 4.0.0, and there is no "Options" choice under "Tools." Can you tell me, please, where I might find it?  Thanks.
>
> ernie kurtz
> ernestkurtz.com
>
> On Jan 7, 2014, at 10:17 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>

> > Another thing to try is to open Writer, go to
> > Tools/Options/OpenOffice/Paths and note the location of the backup
> > directory.  Check that directory and see if there is anything there
> > that looks right.

If you are using a Mac, Options is under Preferences.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Restored Documents

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2014-01-08, 10:01 AM Ernie Kurtz wrote:
> I appreciate your thorough answers, from which I often learn much.  But on this one, I use OO 4.0.0, and there is no "Options" choice under "Tools." Can you tell me, please, where I might find it?  Thanks.

On Macs look in OpenOffice/Preferences.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Restored Documents

Posted by Ernie Kurtz <ku...@umich.edu>.
Rob,

Re: Restored Documents

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Austin Shelton <as...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everybody.
>
> I killed OpenOffice accidentally. When I started the program again the restored document was gibberish.
>
> I'm sorry if this question has already been answered on the list. I am new to the list.

Hi Austin,

Do you have a saved version of the file that you can load?

The auto-recovery feature relies on saving information about your
document to disk every 15 minutes (by default).  But if you did a hard
shutdown at the time it was writing out the auto-recovery information,
then it is possible this information is incomplete.

Another thing to try is to open Writer, go to
Tools/Options/OpenOffice/Paths and note the location of the backup
directory.  Check that directory and see if there is anything there
that looks right.

Finally, for the record, so we can correlate this against past and
future reports, to see if there is a trend of issues, could you let us
know:

1) What version of OpenOffice are you running?

2) What operating system and version?

3) What file type were you using?  ODT?  DOC?  Something else?

4) Where were you saving?  Local hard drive?  Network drive?  USB key?
 Portable drive?

5) Where did the document originate?  Was it something you created
from scratch?  Or was it something you imported from another
application?

6) Is there anything special or unusual about the file, in terms of
size or content that might be related to any issues?

I'd certainly appreciate it if you could take a minute or two to
respond to these questions.  It might not help get your file back, but
it can help us understand better the circumstances under which these
problem arises, and help users in the future.

Regards,

-Rob