Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by sk07 <s....@gmail.com> on 2010/06/29 09:02:14 UTC

how to set continuum build fresh

Hi,

I'm using apache continuum, Version: 1.2.3 n Build Number: 732759.

my company wanted to have version control on all project n i thought of
using continuum.

i manage to set up continuum and build war file. however, i'v few queries.
how do i do proper version control on project developed?

say i build a war file from a trunk for a project n name it as Project
1-snapshot version 1. n the project go live. when there is enhancement,
developer make necessary changes n update the svn repo. now, for next
release i can trigger to build the file again. how to keep existing war file
build via continuum and new war file which will get build by triggering the
build button in continuum? is the a way where i can make a new project name,
example Project 1 - snapshot 2 in continuum? getting same project with
different version (diff war file)? or the only way is i manually moved the
existing war file to a folder, only then trigger build via continuum?

Please advice. Thanks.

Re: Continuum to pick scm changes

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Viv Kapadekar <vi...@peoplepowerco.com> wrote:
> I am using Continuum v1.3.6. How do I make continuum to automatically pick
> any scm changes and trigger a build? I thought this would be the default
> behavior, but I made a change to test and waited for about 5 to 10 mins, but
> it did not trigger a build. Any ideas?

The default schedule is hourly.  If you want it to check more often,
you can change it under 'Schedules'.  You can also create different
schedules if you want.

If you want it to happen the other way around, a change in scm
triggers Continuum, then you could use the XML-RPC interface.  For
example, you might write something that reads a feed from a mailing
list that receives commit messages, and fires a build when a message
arrives.

--
Wendy

Continuum to pick scm changes

AW: dependent snapshot builds not invoked

Posted by Guido Wilken <Gu...@isec7.com>.
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your replay!

The configuration I have involves 4 projects.
One is a library project in a group "libraries".
The other three are 2 platform specific projects and one shared project.
Each platform specific build uses the shared project and the library project.

Library and shared are built as SNAPSHOT most of the time, as they change a lot.

I would like the library and shared project to be checked for changes, ff I invoke a build on one of the platform specific client builds...

If I understood you correctly, this will only be possible for scheduled builds, right?

Regards,
 Guido

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guido Wilken <Gu...@isec7.com>.
Hello,

I have multiple dependent SNAPSHOT projects in continuum (Version: 1.3.4, Build Number: 807129).

When I build one of them (manual or scheduled), the other projects are not built automatically if they have changed.
Unfortunately, I get a lot of errors, if necessary changes in dependent projects are not built before the other projects.
Is there any way, to let continuum check all "other" SNAPSHOT projects for changes before building a particular project?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
 Guido

Re: how to set continuum build fresh

Posted by sk07 <s....@gmail.com>.

Wendy Smoak-3 wrote:

>> Thanks for the reply and info, but I'm still a little not clear, as you
>> said
>> Continuum do not have the feature to build and keep the war in historical
>> order, however you said IME the numbered directory corresponds to the
>> project id, meaning Continuum allows the build project (war file) to be
>> stored in numbered folder. Do Continuum allow the existing numbered
>> folder
>> with war remain as it is even after a new trigger to build the war?
>
> In 1.3.x, When you add a project to Continuum, it is assigned a
> number, which you see in the url and under the working-copy directory.
>
> In my experience, that number doesn't change, there is only one
> working copy, and successive builds simply overwrite the contents, (or
> delete and re-create them).
>
> Then there is a separate set of directories for the build results, but
> Continuum doesn't currently put the built files there, just the text
> build output.
>
> So Continuum itself doesn't have a feature to save your war file, but
> I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to do in Ant by adding a copy
> command to your build and copying the war to a known location on the
> server.
>
> While reviewing the thread I noticed you mentioned using 1.2.3 in your
> original email.  If things aren't matching up, it's because I'm
> talking about 1.3.x  -- I don't remember how 1.2.3 worked, it was too
> long ago.
>
> --
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thanks once again for the details explanation. I got a very clear
explanation

"In my experience, that number doesn't change, there is only one
working copy, and successive builds simply overwrite the contents, (or
delete and re-create them).

Then there is a separate set of directories for the build results, but
Continuum doesn't currently put the built files there, just the text
build output."

Now, I can explain to my superior that Continuum would not be able to keep
historical war file as it overwrites the content/delete re-create the war in
the define numbered directory. Continuum only able to keep the build files
and output (log files), I can see that in a build folder.

I guess as you explain the only way to keep historical war file is by
defining in ANT build.xml to build and keeping it in different directory.

Thank you very much Wendy :handshake:

rgrds,
sk

Re: how to set continuum build fresh

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sk07 <s....@gmail.com>.

Wendy Smoak-3 wrote:

>> Thanks for the reply. I'm using the build.xml, ant engine. In that case,
>> need to ask the developer to configure the build.xml (configuration file
>> which buil the war file) to have define the filesystem to the war can be
>> stored in version? And I do not want to change it to clean deploy,
>> because
>> deployment will be done by my superior.
>
> I didn't realize you were using Ant.  "Deploy" here doesn't mean to
> your application server, it means into a Maven repository.
>
>> All I want is continuumm build and
>> keep the war in versions (in historical order, maybe the last including
>> the
>> later war file).
>
> Continuum doesn't have that feature.  It came out of the Maven project
> and just assumes that you will be using Maven and a repository manager
> with it, so it doesn't try to store the things you're building.
>
> If you're willing to modify the Continuum code it could probably be
> added.  For Maven builds, Continuum already saves off the Surefire
> (test) results.  I think I already have a feature request in JIRA
> asking for the ability to save off other things from the build.
>
> But, you can also do it with your Ant build by simply copying the war
> somewhere else on the server.  That's what I'd suggest.
>
>>  right now whenever i trigger build.xml to build war file the war get
>> build
>> at the following directory
>> /usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.18-1/bin/data/working-directory
>>
>> its creates folder by number (1,2) under the working-directory folder and
>> war being stored there.
>> however, each time when i trigger, a new war being created and the folder
>> (numbering) get incremented but the previous folder is missing, guess it
>> overwrites.
>
> That's odd... IME the numbered directory corresponds to the project
> id.  Unless you are removing and re-adding the project, I wouldn't
> expect that number to change.
>
> --
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the reply and info, but I'm still a little not clear, as you said
Continuum do not have the feature to build and keep the war in historical
order, however you said IME the numbered directory corresponds to the
project id, meaning Continuum allows the build project (war file) to be
stored in numbered folder. Do Continuum allow the existing numbered folder
with war remain as it is even after a new trigger to build the war?

Thanks.

sk

Re: how to set continuum build fresh

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sk07 <s....@gmail.com>.

Wendy Smoak-3 wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:02 AM, sk07 <s....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> say i build a war file from a trunk for a project n name it as Project
>> 1-snapshot version 1. n the project go live. when there is enhancement,
>> developer make necessary changes n update the svn repo. now, for next
>> release i can trigger to build the file again. how to keep existing war
>> file
>> build via continuum and new war file which will get build by triggering
>> the
>> build button in continuum? is the a way where i can make a new project
>> name,
>> example Project 1 - snapshot 2 in continuum? getting same project with
>> different version (diff war file)? or the only way is i manually moved
>> the
>> existing war file to a folder, only then trigger build via continuum?
>
> It sounds like you are not yet deploying your artifacts to a remote
> repository.  That's where you normally store releases when using
> Maven.  Take a look at Apache Archiva for a repository manager (but
> you can start with a simple filesystem.)  At a minimum, set
> <distributionManagement> in your project pom and change the build
> definition to "clean deploy".
>
> There is also a release process built into Maven and Continuum that
> will tag your svn repository and change the version numbers for you.
>
> Is the requirement really to put the old releases under version
> control (in svn) or just to keep them around?
>
> --
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the build.xml, ant engine. In that case, I
need to ask the developer to configure the build.xml (configuration file
which buil the war file) to have define the filesystem to the war can be
stored in version? And I do not want to change it to clean deploy, because
deployment will be done by my superior. All I want is continuumm build and
keep the war in versions (in historical order, maybe the last including the
later war file).

The reason being is we can revert back to old war, by deploying the old war
file if needed. Dont think wants to tag the svn because that would be hassle
for developer.

Any idea how to do this?

Thanks Wendy.

Rgrds,
sk

 right now whenever i trigger build.xml to build war file the war get build
at the following directory
/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.18-1/bin/data/working-directory

its creates folder by number (1,2) under the working-directory folder and
war being stored there.
however, each time when i trigger, a new war being created and the folder
(numbering) get incremented but the previous folder is missing, guess it
overwrites.

example, when 1st trigger the war file stored in folder '1', 2nd time
triggering it, it will then created folder '2' with war file in it but I
believe the previous folder '1' gets removed or deleted in the process
because i dont see it anymore after triggerring it 2nd time.

please advide.

thanks.

rgrds,
sk

Re: how to set continuum build fresh

Posted by sk07 <s....@gmail.com>.

Wendy Smoak-3 wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:02 AM, sk07 <s....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> say i build a war file from a trunk for a project n name it as Project
>> 1-snapshot version 1. n the project go live. when there is enhancement,
>> developer make necessary changes n update the svn repo. now, for next
>> release i can trigger to build the file again. how to keep existing war
>> file
>> build via continuum and new war file which will get build by triggering
>> the
>> build button in continuum? is the a way where i can make a new project
>> name,
>> example Project 1 - snapshot 2 in continuum? getting same project with
>> different version (diff war file)? or the only way is i manually moved
>> the
>> existing war file to a folder, only then trigger build via continuum?
>
> It sounds like you are not yet deploying your artifacts to a remote
> repository.  That's where you normally store releases when using
> Maven.  Take a look at Apache Archiva for a repository manager (but
> you can start with a simple filesystem.)  At a minimum, set
> <distributionManagement> in your project pom and change the build
> definition to "clean deploy".
>
> There is also a release process built into Maven and Continuum that
> will tag your svn repository and change the version numbers for you.
>
> Is the requirement really to put the old releases under version
> control (in svn) or just to keep them around?
>
> --
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.