Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ken Miller <kl...@shetlandsoftware.com> on 2004/07/13 14:42:09 UTC

Concurrent commits and post-commit hooks

I'm in the process of setting up a SVN repository to replace a medium
sized CVS repository.  No major issues yet, and I'm *very* impressed
with the stability and functionality of Subversion.  Kudos to the
developers for a great tool!

One of the features I'm trying to exploit is the post-commit hook to
create incremental backups on the fly.  Effectively, something like this:

    svnadmin dump $1 --revision $2 --incremental >> date-stamped-file

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does SVN enforce the running order of post-commit hooks in revision
number sequence?  If two developers commit changes to the repository
creating revisions 1 and 2 respectively, does SVN *always* run the
post-commit hook for revision 1, and then for revision 2?

2. When restoring a Subversion repository, does the backup file need to
be in revision number order?  Or, put a different way, does the restore
process the restore in revision number order or file order?  If
subversion processes the file in revision number order, then #1 is not
an issue.

I have searched the archives, but I've not found very much information
on post-commit hooks, hence my question here.

Cheers!

    -klm.

Re: Concurrent commits and post-commit hooks

Posted by Ken Miller <kl...@shetlandsoftware.com>.
Ken Miller wrote:

> I'm in the process of setting up a SVN repository to replace a medium
> sized CVS repository.  No major issues yet, and I'm *very* impressed
> with the stability and functionality of Subversion.  Kudos to the
> developers for a great tool!
>
> One of the features I'm trying to exploit is the post-commit hook to
> create incremental backups on the fly.  Effectively, something like this:
>
>    svnadmin dump $1 --revision $2 --incremental >> date-stamped-file
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Does SVN enforce the running order of post-commit hooks in revision
> number sequence?  If two developers commit changes to the repository
> creating revisions 1 and 2 respectively, does SVN *always* run the
> post-commit hook for revision 1, and then for revision 2?

I hate answering my own questions, but I may as well for posterity :-)

The answer to #1 is no, Subversion does not enforce revision number
sequencing of the execution of post-commit hooks.

> 2. When restoring a Subversion repository, does the backup file need
> to be in revision number order?  Or, put a different way, does the
> restore process the restore in revision number order or file order?
> If subversion processes the file in revision number order, then #1 is
> not an issue.

I'm still investigating this one...

    -klm.